27 Responses to “3D-printed adapter bricks allow interconnection between ten kids' construction toys”

1. chriscombs says:

The “Free Universal Construction Kit” has a great abbreviation too.

2. Free Universal Construction Kit.   Clever acronym.  You can give a F*CK for Christmas or share them with your FU*K buddies…   Hilarious? On Purpose? Awesome!

• guanto says:

Dude, they totally didn’t think of that, good catch!

(Also, pure coincidence that FUCK “encourages totally new forms of intercourse.”)

3. EH says:

C&D in 5…4…3…

4. show me says:

Before F.A.T. Lab was involved this was known as the Sy-lab Heterogeneous Interconnection Thingy.

5. Greg Miller says:

They should add some for 80/20 to Lego interoperability.

6. bardfinn says:

There’s a gear. On a Lincoln log single.

Help me, Internets: other than glorious entropic acceleration, what could possibly be the utility of such a piece?

7. Kevin Pierce says:

more like “some assembly inspired”

8. awjt says:

OK, they need to change the name for the kids, BUT…. on the technology…  It’s about FREAKING TIME.  I have been trying to finish my Duplo block structure for decades, but all I have is Legos and I need to get this damn thing done before mom gets back.

9. MrEricSir says:

Do these fake Legos snap together, though?  I thought Legos had to be made out of a certain type of plastic and to within a fairly high precision.

• Lego is made to such a high precision that robotics labs and people that use lasers occasionally use it, as it can be relied on to such a fine detail.

I’d be surprised if these would actually work, as even if the design is spot on the printing won’t be.  Nice idea though, if not for the glaring trademark and patent issues that will shoot it down in the next couple of days. I can imagine a company like Lego is gearing up for when 3D printing Lego bricks is cheaper than buying them, as it could kill their entire business; and a big part of me feels for them. Ideally you should be able to print 3D Lego bricks (as preventing it will be impossible) but at the same time there should probably be some kind of license involved, or the purchase of the design from Lego itself.

Of course what’s more likely is that there’ll be a fake Lego 3D printing set, like an off-brand variety that doesn’t infringe on whatever patents are involved (a la Megablocks).

• Lego bricks are not under patent.  See mega-blocks.

• Ian Anthony says:

“Lego is made to such a high precision that robotics labs and people that use lasers occasionally use it, as it can be relied on to such a fine detail.”

Citation needed. Not because I don’t believe you, but because that sounds amazing and I want to learn more.

10. Gtmac says:

A truly outstanding idea! However, if they want to use the word “universal” they should be adapting to older building sets as well, like Erector.

• cellocgw says:

In all seriousness,  all it takes is a few clearance holes for #6 hardware (IIRC) and you can connect Erector beams to your heart’s delight.  Now,  Bridge and (forgot the other half-name) along with it’s brother Girder and Panel might be a bit tougher

11. Jorpho says:

Free!  Except for the $1750 Makerbot.  Oh well.

12. technogeekagain says:

Uhm… At least one of the items which goes by reminds me of the IBM ad which included the Universal Business Adapter. (“Does it work in Europe?” “… You need an adapter.”)

Given that, and the acronym, I’m betting this is just a well-produced joke.

13. I LOVE this, so cool, such a great idea, really hoping my kid’s school will get a printer one of these days

14. Guest says:

“The artist’s proof shown here was created in a UV-cured white resin using a commercial-grade Objet (“polyjet”) 3D printer, which has a horizontal resolution of 42 microns, and a layer thickness of 16 microns.”