Historic Apollo 11 rocket engines found on ocean floor by Jeff Bezos and team

21 Responses to “Historic Apollo 11 rocket engines found on ocean floor by Jeff Bezos and team”

1. fuzzyfuzzyfungus says:

If those engines are as made-of-beryllium as certain other high performance rocket engines, I’ll be more than happy to let somebody else touch them and find out what sort of interesting corrosion products flake off…

2. EH says:

“Hey everybody, stop looking at James Cameron and look at me!” –Jeff Bezos

3. Art says:

Certainly a find of true historic importance.

The F-1 engines- Burning 6000 lbs of fuel per second!
    Sounds like my old Dodge Ram pick-up :)

4. SedanChair says:

Bless our masters and all their whims.

5. jheiss says:

What I’m wondering is why they talk about the 5 engines as separate things?  The engines were presumably still attached to the first stage when they hit the ocean.  Did they all break off on impact with the water?  Did Bezos and team find the rest of the first stage too?

• It’s entirely possible that the aluminum structure which was the first stage has completely deteriorated…the engines – and particularly the nozzles — were far tougher than the rocket’s cylinder. They had to survive several minutes of extremely high temperature, whereas the cylinder did not; it only had to survive extreme cold.

And, yes, they could have broken free upon impact at several hundred miles per hour.

6. blissfulight says:

Dear Jeff:  There’s a huge garbage patch floating on top of the ocean.  If you would like to spend millions of dollars cleaning up some junk, try there first.  Thanks, Dan

• TheMadLibrarian says:

Waaahhhh!  Someone found something interesting or historic on their own dime, and I don’t like it!

• blissfulight says:

The difficulty with jokes is that not everyone is smart enough to get them.  Besides, Jeff doesn’t have to go far or spend anything to find something interesting and historic:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garbology.

• Diogenes says:

Waaahhhh!  Someone made me think about current reality when all I wanted to do was think about history, and I don’t like it!

• EH says:

Yeah, it’s actually not “floating on top of the ocean,” unless you consider the top of the ocean to be merely the parts that are closer to the surface than the bottom.

• GlenBlank says:

A huge patch of garages?

Well, at least there’ll be plenty of parking, then.

7. mwschmeer says:

I smell the plot of Transformers 4!

8. pjcamp says:

Somebody has way too much money.

• Rick CL says:

Thank god then that hes sharing it with divers, boat owners, captains, crews, engineers, and everyone else involved. Its not like he’s burning the money in a campfire. Hes giving it to other people how he sees fit. Those people pay taxes. All is fair.

9. SpaceBeers says:

Between Bezos and Cameron, all millionaires that don’t do things like this should be ashamed of themselves. This is how to behave.

10. Why just Millionaires Andy? How much of your money are you willing to contribute? 15%? 20%  What? None you say?

11. Guest says:

Wow. I saw those take off from the Cape when I was not quite 4.