Incredible art made with open-source weather data

21 Responses to “Incredible art made with open-source weather data”

1. Brainspore says:

You can tell that techies are responsible for the above image… most people outside of Silicon Valley would use San Francisco as a reference point on a map of the U.S. rather than San Jose.

(Note: I have nothing against San Jose.)

• wrybread says:

I was thinking the same thing. I’m guessing the map is some pre-existing widget though, since it allows zooming (go to the project page and right-click the map), and has a lot of city names when zoomed in close. For example, around San Francisco it shows both Hayward and Fremont…

That said, I definitely have something against San Jose.

• Brainspore says:

Apparently built by some Google folks so that makes sense. (Their corporate headquarters is based in Mountain View but that’s closer to S.J. than S.F.)

2. I’ve been watching this with some fascination over the last few days. I can’t get over the fact that it looks like the US has grown hair though…

• Brainspore says:

You say “heartland,” I say “cowlick.”

• MonkeyBoy says:

I fascinatedly watched this a few days ago when linked at at New Scientist.

It really needs to include Canada. At that time there was large northern movements of air west of the Great Lakes and large southern movement to the east.

I presume the wind looped around in Canada but it would have made much more sense if I could have seen the loop.

3. Ethan Taliesin Houser says:

Plush!

4. Teller says:

Thx everyone for killing my Wookiee take.

5. David Faler says:

Where does all the wind go?  I see wind moving from every direction to a spot just SW of Sioux Falls, and no wind moving away from there (12:00 4/2).

6. zarray says:

There’s like a whirlwind at 35.00,-105.19

7. Simon Bradshaw says:

Also, a lovely illustration of the common real-world example of the Hairy Ball Theorem.

8. Douglas says:

I’d love to see this map overlaid with topography to represent the mountains effect on wind

• penguinchris says:

If you know where the mountains are, you can see the effect. Or, if you can recognize how mountains would affect wind patterns, you can see where the mountains are :)

I agree that the option to plot other stuff on the map would be great though.

9. Wow, Chicago really is the windy city. I can also see why Roscoe, TX was such a good place for a wind farm. And it looks like the old joke about Minnesota being so windy because the Dakotas blow while Wisconsin sucks is based in fact.

10. Rick Santorum tried to outlaw this. To pay back a campaign contributor, Accuweather, he wrote a bill that would make it illegal for the National Weather Service to give data to the public.

11. Guest says:

SWEET.

12. MandoZink says:

I have had this on my computer for over a week here in Louisville. We had several storms pass through this week. I always follow storms on radar, but this map has been showing the wind as if it is moving in the opposite direction as the actual wind – every time. Does anyone think this is showing the air moving backwards?

• MandoZink says:

No kidding. Today, once again, ALL of the apparent air moving on this map is in the OPPOSITE direction of the weather in this area. It is a really cool map, but the creator might think to reverse direction.