High-tech border crossings stymie spies

The CIA fears high-tech customs checks, writes Jeff Stein: "The increasing deployment of iris scanners and biometric passports at worldwide airports, hotels and business headquarters, designed to catch terrorists and criminals, are playing havoc with operations that require CIA spies to travel under false identities." [Wired]

16 Responses to “High-tech border crossings stymie spies”

1. So, one arm of the intrusive security state is interfering with the other?

2. Guest says:

Awwww, their best laid plans are biting them in the ass.

quelle fucking surprise.

3. dragonfrog says:

Shock!  Horror!  The systems designed to prevent people from committing crimes are preventing us from committing crimes!

4. teknocholer says:

The irony. It tickles.

5. Kimmo says:

They’ll likely come up with some kind of fudge that’ll leave the biometrics system wide open ; )

6. Jacob Ewing says:

Hoist by their own petard it would seem.

7. Phil Fot says:

I think in this instance, a rousing chorus of “TOUGH SHIT!” from everyone in the house is appropriate.

Can it please be regime change time?

8. fry188 says:

For some reason, I read the headline as “High-tech border collies stymie spies.”  That would’ve been awesome.

9. CastanhasDoPara says:

Well isn’t that just a crying shame.

A bit of advice for the spooks bawling like little kids with skinned knees:  GO EF YER SELVES FOR A CHANGE!

10. penguinchris says:

I’ve considered this possibility, because when I travel I often feel restricted. Like you always have to have a “valid” reason to travel somewhere, or you’re met with lots of suspicion. I’ve felt this primarily at international borders, but even traveling within the US as well.

We here all know that it’s getting worse, and we understand the danger of “papieren, bitte”, but most people don’t – so I’m very glad to see that it’s not just the average person who’s feeling the pain of not being able to travel freely.

11. I’m kind of thinking that not allowing spied to travel even outweights the benefit of not allowing terrorists to travel…  The title could have been ‘Police states bite the hand that fed them’. It feels so good.

12. First world problems lolz!

This reminds me of the other day when I couldn’t decide between popcorn seasonings.

13. AnthonyC says: