Perhaps Contraption, an art-punk marching band

19 Responses to “Perhaps Contraption, an art-punk marching band”

1. Zach Z says:

Trying to figure out how a band was tied to contraception, then I reread the title.

• I thought the same thing. Makes some of the lyrics make more sense. She’s explaining to her grandma that she has figured out her aunts and uncles must have been using contraception because she has no cousins.

2. Great song.  But they lost when it was ALL THE JESUS FUCKING CHRIST BUGS!!!

3. franko says:

i love the general trend towards blurring musical styles and instruments into one contemporary “whuzzah??”

so, that being said, these guys sound fantastic to me. thanks for posting this!

• EH says:

Sorry to “actually…” you, but actually it’s pretty much just New Orleans Jazz played roughly. Don’t get distracted by the “marching” appellation, of which it is barely.

• Actually, “actually”, I’d say it bears a closer resemblance to gypsy music like that of Fanfare Vagabontu and their Romanian folk music inspired… uh… music!

• Richard Dagenais says:

Actually, its just a bunch of  pebbles shaken about in a tin can. And trombone. On acid. And stuff.

• EH says:

It’s not resemblance, it’s the actual rhythm that makes it NOLA. I was originally going to call it gypsy circus music before I listened further.

4. BDiamond says:

Next generation Squirrel Nut Zippers?

5. franklin rossey says:

Reminds me of They Shoot Horses, Don’t They?
    Good stuff!

6. yupgiboy says:

Punk, eh?

7. roundart says:

This looks like the lovechild between Dirty Dozen Brass Band and Gogol Bordelo.  Me likey!

8. A. says:

Sounds like a UK answer to March Forth.

9. Rich Keller says:

Fun, really fun! I think I may have heard some of their stuff on the Radio Riel Steampunk online musicking thing and if not, I should have.

10. mdpez says:

Looks like a Roa piece they’re playing in front of at 1:03?

11. Agrajag says:

The marching band thing seems to be springing up all over the place. Here in Denver there’s one called Itchy-O that shows up at places more-or-less at rondom. You’ll be at an outdoor festival, first Friday, or sometimes even at another band’s show entirely, and suddenly, out of nowhere: space-alien mariachi marching band of doom! It’s pretty awesome.

12. pKp says:

More in the style, from France : La Fanfare En Pétard. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1i7oQapkWQ&feature=related (on the street, fun starts around 1’10) ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2I7JYfhvn4&feature=related (on stage).

13. noggin says:

Awesome stuff.  Must buy all of it.  Thanks, Cory!

I’m not sure about the punk label, though I get why it applies.  But listening to more of their stuff, it’s like punk has gone so far around the sphere it’s coming back on progressive from the other side.  Listen to “Bluebells” on their Slude & Tripe album and see if it wouldn’t fit right in on a King Crimson album.

14. bobrk says:

Reminds me of the Extra Action Marching Band, a favorite of David Byrne who invites them to perform with him when he has concerts in the Bay Area.