11 Responses to “Brazil's copyright societies indicted for fraud, new law demands efficient, transparent collecting societies”

1. This is amazing. In Italy, we are seeing an attempt of class action by authors/composers against SIAE exactly because of the “sampling” on music usage (which normally results in “you play, someone else gets the money”. This is a much more radical approach and something which I believe will have influence on what is happening here too. :)

2. risky says:

I strongly agree with your call for transparency, efficiency and tech improvement in all facets of the music industry; but with respect to the US collecting societies you mention (ASCAP, BMI), your assertion that “all the money goes to the big four labels, except for some scraps that we give to a few indies, and the rather titanic rake we keep for ourselves” is false. These societies are not for-profit and also do not pay labels.  They pay songwriters and music publishers 50/50.  While there’s room for improvement in their methodologies, they’re certainly not keeping a ‘titanic rake’ for themselves.

• Not sure where you get your information, but that is not how ASCAP is operating.

• EH says:

It’s not how ASCAP is operating, but it’s kind of like how SoundExchange is.

• Randinho3 says:

Full disclosure: I’m a former ASCAP employee, laid off seven years ago and I can assure you that they are aggressive with holding down expenses. In my last few years there raises, when they happened barely kept pace with inflation, benefits were consistently cut back, etc.

Senior management ther has icewater in their veins and I can tell you they are the only ones making a decent living there: by cutting staff who’ve been there for some time.

Keeping the operating ratio low is their mantra. They operate under a consent decree which is subject to review by the DOJ. I was there for one such review and can tell you it’s taken seriously.

I detest and despise John Lo Frumento, Al Wallace and Vincent Candilora, the three main senior management people I dealt with, but I can tell you they’re not lining their pockets with license fees and shorting their membership of royalties.

• timbuktoo says:

Wow, Risky:
      This is naivete at its finest. You do understand how “non-profits” work in this country (USA) right?

3. vattenpipa says:

Fantastic!

4. tiagobraw says:

Well, I’m Brazilian and that is not fantastic at all. All our corrupt government want is to control the Ecad (the local copyright collecting which is corrupt as well), therefore controlling copyright collecting in Brazil.

It sucks to be a Brazilian…

•  Tiago, open your eyes, this is not a government issuem this is a public issue; it’s not a problem that involves only those running the State, it’s a problem that involves everyone in Society. I’m really not 100% pride of being brazilian, but this is one of the points that make me really happy and hopefull about it every now and then.

5. RlyehBob says: