National Bike Month: Draisines are the new fixies

16 Responses to “National Bike Month: Draisines are the new fixies”

1. Guest says:

Just saw a local Chinese immigrant on a bike, jogging along. It took me a second to realize there was no chain or pedals involved. Pretty fast for an obvious septagenarian, and it had a hand brake!

2. OriGuy says:

From the BBC show Three Men in a Boat Go to Ireland, comedians Dara O Briain and Rory McGrath pedal a draisine while  Grif Rhys Jones rides.  I was watching this just last night.

3. EH says:

This looks pretty much like the Skoot-type bikes that small children are receiving nowadays. Except older, natch.

• dragonfrog says:

Yeah, there’s one in our house, still in its box, waiting for me to put it together in time for our daughter’s second birthday.  She’s been getting super excited about bikes and trikes lately, so the timing should be good.

4. A draisine is a rail vehicle. This is like celebrating National Car Month by featuring a train…

• VyperX says:

Yes, it is. But it is used correctly here, too. Many words have more than one meaning. These things are still made. Or were in the 1970s. A neighbor kid had one.

• Fair enough, I was under the interpretation that this draisine was a rail bike, the precursor to the dandy-horse. The term “draisine” was also once the common name for the dandy-horse.

The more you know…

• Wreckrob8 says:

There is also the French term draisienne which can only mean dandy horse.

5. standingstill says:

Ouch.

6. Robert Cruickshank says:

Obligatory Kate Beaton cartoon: http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=331

7. Antinous / Moderator says:

Nothing says seating comfort like a stuffed dachshund.

8. inkfumes says:

If you like bikes than bike rod and custom has the coolest, also it’s the creator was the producer of the vintage Saturday Night Live “Mr.Bill” spots: http://bikerodnkustom.homestead.com/

I even got my old custom bike in the gallery: http://bikerodnkustom3.homestead.com/gallery177.html

9. snagglepuss says:

This is National Bicycle Month ?

How about that. I’ll take it as a sign – I just started back on my bike after a two-year lay-off.

10. Mitch_M says:

That’s how I ride when the grease in my freewheel gets stiff in the cold and the pawls won’t engage or when I break a crank or a pedal. Bikers must have been tough back them- passing motorists feel emboldened to make rude remarks which invite a thrashing when a cyclist rides in such a manner.

11. alissa mower clough says:

…and let me remind you, a draisienne (the way I was taught it was spelled) is still faster than most horses, and the best way to learn how to ride for young and old.

12. penguinchris says:

I can imagine one of these being pretty fun in the right environment, more so than a bicycle would be, like in a small park with a couple hills. It must feel more out-of-control (and thus more exciting) than a bicycle with silly things like brakes.