This is your brain on meditation

7 Responses to “This is your brain on meditation”

1. grimc says:

I wonder what qualifies as “meditation.” I was, coincidentally, talking with somebody today about how my 80 mile motorcycle commute was meditative. Complete focus of mind and body.

And I wonder if the possible brain growth is cancelled out by possible brain squish from being on a bike…

2. Paul Renault says:

“the extent to which meditation may affect neuroplasticity — the ability of the brain to make physiological change.”

Change ≠ better.  Remember that.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

That doesn’t actually present any facts or definable assertions.

• Paul Renault says:

I had to run off to work, so I was using the handiest source.

To quote from the linked-to article in the NYT:
        “The U.C.L.A. study, like previous ones, is inconclusive but intriguing.”

Mind you, as I can see from the accompanying photograph, regular meditation seems to keep your hair from going white or even going gray.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Kind of like how patented celebrity work-out programs make you lose your body hair and turn orange?

• Antinous / Moderator says:

To be fair, they taught us at yoga teaching training that if somebody is seriously on the edge or has a lot of repressed shit stored up in there, meditation can send them right off the rails as soon as they get in touch with what’s lurking in there.  I’ve had first-timers come to a meditation class and literally run out shrieking after a couple of minutes of silence.

• Paul Renault says:

I read an article, some months back, which reported on some cases where some, er, unstable brains were made worse by the non-thinking/non-chatter (I don’t meditate, insert the appropriate nomenclatura) from meditation or from sensory-deprivation tanks.

I’ll rummage around my HDD and reread it.