DMZ is finished: Brian Wood nailed the ending

16 Responses to “DMZ is finished: Brian Wood nailed the ending”

1. “hair on the back of my neck stand up on the back of my neck”

2. I own all 12 volumes now, and maybe it needs a re-read, but while I was totally satisfied with the ending, I feel that much of the series was a solemn look at what this potential NYC could look like and unless you live there, perhaps doesn’t resonate as strongly. Whereas I look at stories like Transmetropolitan (about a gonzo journalist in a potential future) and after finishing its 10 volumes, I had a mindsplosion.

We’ll see how I feel on my next read of DMZ. Already recommended it to a few friends, regardless.

3. hardwarejunkie9 says:

Also: reported as The Five Nations of America, but picture says Five Nations of New York?

4. nomad411 says:

Wow! This series is news to me and I’d love to read it. Is it available in digital form somewhere?

• Paul Downs says:

Comics @ Comixology have a fair chunk of it in their store though no collected volumes are available for download as yet (iirc).  If you have a droid or ithing the app is excellent.

** Whilst I think of it, if you download the free app there are plentiful free taster comics on there to give you an idea of what it’s like to use, inc. batman, walking dead and various indie stuffs **

• nomad411 says:

Hi, Thanks.  I don,t think it,s available for iOS but I’ll look.  I’m reading horror stories about copyrights and people having their purchases disappear though.  More research is needed (I’m in Canada).

• Hamish Grant says:

comixology is definitely available for iOS – I used it frequently.  Comic Zeal is another terrific comic reader for CBR files.

• Garnett Schuyler says:

If you buy the meatspace editions the spines of the books line up into the cityscape of the ruined New York.  Just something to think about.

5. The artwork in this series also deserves a mention – it is *incredibly* detailed. The graffiti in itself is amazing.

I agree about the ending. I have started The Massive, and that looks just as promising. :)

6. “I sincerely hope that Vertigo brings out all 12 collections in one or two volumes, like theWatchmen trade paperback that was so many readers’ road into comics.”

Watchmen was 12 issues… fitting 72 in one or two trades would be quite a trick.

7. winter67uk says:

The final issues are collected in a collection? Really?

8. jebyrnes says:

And now it’s time to get going with Wood’s The Massive.

• Slartibartfatsdomino says:

Just bought issue #1 of that yesterday. I haven’t opened it yet, so I can’t report, but I’m looking forward to it.

9. Slartibartfatsdomino says:

Cory says “has finally finished,” but, in fact, he actually finished up some months ago, certainly when the final issue came out as a single comic book, rather than when the final trade paperback came out, which is what Cory is apparently referring to. I like trade paperbacks (I have entire runs of some of my favorite series in trade paperback) and this may see like nitpicking, but if you really love comics, you should consider trying to buy yours in issue-by-issue comic book form. There’s good books that are canceled because they don’t sell in the initial comic book form and therefore never get to trade paperback form. Support your favorite writers and artists by buying the comic books, if you can! Especially the creator-owned books!

I’m currently doing this with Wood’s The Massive, BKV’s Saga (highly recommended), Ennis’s The Boys (coming to an end soon, sadly), and some others.

And, it’s pretty easy in most towns to do so. Here in Portland, if I get interested in a book, I just email my local store and say, “Hey, stick this series in my buy box for me, thanx!”  Then, I can go two or three months being absent-minded about my comic books and then say, “Oh yeah! There’s probably a few issues of such-and-such waiting for me” and go pick them up all at once.

That way, you get to read the stories before everybody waiting for the trade and you get to support your favorite creators.

10. fluffylittlekitten says:

i have a quick question… why does roth still have the bandage on his nose 5 years after he hurt it?