Pyura Chilensis, the living rock

46 Responses to “Pyura Chilensis, the living rock”

1. Christopher says:

And looking at that picture the first thing that comes to my mind, naturally, is, “I’m a doctor, not a bricklayer.”

And after reading the article and learning that vanadium is the metal the animal accumulates, and that it’s eaten raw or in salads, what comes to mind is Spalding Gray and his macular pucker, caused, according to one of his doctors, by a buildup of vanadium in his system.

• malindrome says:

We need to get Leonard Nimoy over there stat if we want to communicate with this thing.

• CognitiveDissident says:

You’re third.
        (And Ryan Lenethen beat me to it, the darned tribble!)(That insult sounded better before I typed it.)

2. Nutrition Industry says:

I predict rapid identification of the mechanism for selective vanadium uptake, followed by patents, and commercial vanadium production from seawater soon to follow.  Oh wait, I just made prior art – now its all open source FTW. :)

3. Jerril says:

Was an animal. Now it looks like it’s on its way to becoming dinner.

4. William Ventura says:

Oh please god no, what the hell is that don’t tell me.

j burton

5. PeterCantropus says:

Buargh…. Piure is disgusting. I really don’t understand how my grandma loves to eat that stuff so much. I believe it has to have one of the strongest odors among seafood and the taste is like drinking yodine.

6. Ian Hammond says:

NO KILL I

7. Rob says:

Looks like someone killed a very cool creature for our viewing pleasure.

It makes me sad.

8. Angryjim says:

Who needs science fiction aliens when we have stuff like this on earth.

9. wysinwyg says:

I hate it and never want to see another one ever again.

10. Ryan Lenethen says:

Reminds me of the Star Trek lava creature that spock communes with…

11. the other cool thing about this creature is that is a “close” relative to us, a tunicate,  the sister subphylum of vertebrata.

edit: this means that they are more closely related to us than a fly.

• Awesomer says:

Ah, you beat me to it. Isn’t that a cool fact? Yup, they’re chordates, which means they have spinal cords, but they’re invertebrates, so no spines.

Speaking of weird sea creatures and what flies are more closely related to, barnacles are arthropods, meaning they’re much more closely related to flies than to clams, limpets, anemones, starfish, chitons… Counterintuitive, at least to me.

• yeah, that one always surprises  people (me included when I took  zoology many years a go). the telling thigns is the meat. if you eat barnacles you’ll see the meat is very much like crab meat. very tasty too. unlike piures which I hate.

12. beemoh says:

Living rocks… we’re one step closer to finally having real Pokémon.
    Geodude, I choose you!

13. blueelm says:

That is an awesome animal, but that image is so… disturbing.

14. Adam S. says:

I don’t want to eat it. You eat it.

15. malindrome says:

The Silicoids have the traits Lithovore, Repulsive, and Tolerant.  Unfortunately, we are unable to sign treaties with them.

16. Theh4x0r says:

Awesome and gross.

17. Robert says:

Oh god it’s a rock with meat in it must stab eyes out

18. keithfulkerson says:

The story right above this one is about a woman getting her head cut off, then you scroll down and see that pic.  Oofah!

19. Shibi_SF says:

I thought that it looked much more like the inside of a tomato than say… beef or meat.  Still, I think:  urk urk, DO NOT WANT.  (Plus, I don’t like tomatoes).

20. Hardley says:

bloody ouch! what did you do that for?

21. Peter Yard says:

Gees this takes me back to my school days. We had a science (biology) excursion and so our terrible adolescent bunch descended on a local (Sydney, Australia) tidal rock shelf and explored, doing untold damage. We were instructed to leave things where we found them but you know, 16 year old boys. The most fascinating were the turnicates (sea squirts) that had attached themselves onto the rocks in a carpet that was 10 – 20 centimetres thick. Aptly named “sea squirts” too. I didn’t realise they were edible but they are amazing critters. These days I live further north and although the water is warm and inviting the rock pool life is much poorer. Not many sea squirts. The lesson I took away from that day was that sometimes the most surprising things require you to look more carefully.

22. salsaman says:

That’s what you look like if you got teleported into a rock by accident I think.

23. oscar says:

Andrew Zimmern ate this on Bizarre Foods. And yes, he likened it to the Horta from Star Trek.

24. BombBlastLightingWaltz says:

Just a flesh wound. It’ll grow a new, err, side.

25. timquinn says:

Ooh, look, it was alive . . .

26. Neuron says:

Kinda surprised that this is a chordate. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascidiacea

27. CognitiveDissident says:

Strawberry or cherry?
    It would make a good topping for a Fear Factor Sundae.

28. wiz99 says:

What about all those rocks on Mars?

29. headcode says:

“An apparently delicious animals with clear blood, whose body is accumulates surprisingly large amounts of a rare metal used to strengthen steel.”

I think this sentence needs just a little fixing up.

30. Kelli Halliburton says:

I are not happy with is language to be translates badly.