Gweek 064: Danny Dunn and the Homework Machine

9 Responses to “Gweek 064: Danny Dunn and the Homework Machine”

1. Stefan Jones says:

I appreciate the new “Past episodes:” list.

I tend to load up my mp3 player with two or three episodes at once, and the Gweek page is a dog to load. (At least, last time I checked.)

2. edkedz says:

I used to love the Danny Dunn books as a kid, but they’re almost unfindable now. I have never seen one in a used book store, and the few times I’ve done searches for used copies online the prices have been exorbitant.

3. Pink Frankenstein says:

Yaayyy! New Gweek

4. Amorette says:

Danny Dunn and who was the boy detective!  I LOVED those guys.

5. MrScience says:

YESSS, Danny Dunn was my childhood hero. I used to keep track of the stuff in my pockets, and imagine what wild uses Danny might be able to put them to use. And the books were so gosh darned prescient (I’m looking at you, invisible boy!!

6. liquidstar says:

Cool Richard Corben – never seems to get enough recognition.  I actually had that exact issue of EERIE as a teenager.

7. vertigo25 says:

Why is there a picture of Kamandi on the logo? Is there a reference to him in this episode?

8. Stefan Jones says:

I read quite a few Danny Dunn books as a kid, but I found them annoying for a really nerdy reason.

They often had SF-ish themes, like rockets to the moon and contacting alien life (really! Danny and SETI message). But they were mostly spy and action stories. The cool Macguffin was almost incidental. Like: They revcieve and decode the message from space, and it depicts an alien ship flying to Earth. The End. The rocket to the moon is simply a high speed missing which creates a cloud of dust on the moon. Hey, we reached the moon! The End.

I was starting to read other YA books in which dramatic stuff with lasting implications happened. Actual space missions. (If only to invisible moon inhabited by mushroom people.) Terrifying alien invaders to stuck mind control caps on you.

• Halloween_Jack says:

That’s one of the things that I actually like(d) about them, both as a kid and as an adult–cool technology, but also with some sharp observations about how the tech could be used and misused. In the “Invisible Boy” adventure mentioned above, [SPOILERS] Danny doesn’t really turn invisible, but gains access to an insect-sized drone that he can use to spy on people… only a member of the military wants to use it to spy as well, not only on foreign agents but also Americans. Sound familiar? And his adventure in a world’s-fair-type House of the Future turns into a nightmare when he and his friends are trapped in it, the very picture of technology that you can’t access, modify or control taking control over your life instead. Pretty dramatic stuff, and with lasting implications that are still with us. If you want your space opera, you can still read some of Heinlein’s juvenile adventures from before he started taking himself a little too seriously.