9 Responses to “How to Build an Android: The True Story of Philip K. Dick's Robotic Resurrection, by David F. Dufty”

1. SedanChair says:

“Are you kidding me? Destroy me this instant”

2. politeruin says:

There was an excerpt from this on tor.com not long ago…

3. Henry Pootel says:

Such flashbacks on that first picture!  I used to work for a guy named “Dick Couch”

4. Snarflerator says:

How does one forget such a thing on a plane?

5. signsofrain says:

I wonder who’s got it and if they know what they have? An unscrupulous airline employee? A fellow passenger? I’d be curious if any efforts were undertaken to find and talk to all the people who might have had access to the head..?

6. show me says:

He must be the guy they’re talking about when they say, “He’d lose his head if it wasn’t attached to his neck!”

7. How do you LOSE A ROBOT HEAD on an airplane??? This would be the FIRST thing I check for upon deplaning!!!

8. Bruce Tutty says:

I’m just curious as to how they got it through customs in the first instance…”is that a body in your case Sir?”

9. Peaked says:

I was lucky enough to get to meet and talk with the android at the Wired Nextfest. Apparently, the voice recognition software had trouble with noisy convention centers so they were taking groups of five or so people at a time into a sound proofed, portable room furnished like a living room. I’m fairly certain that’s where the picture above was taken.

The most dramatic part of the experience for me came before I even got into the room. I saw the exhibit and, not realizing what it was despite having heard of the PKD android before, I looked in through one of the windows and saw a group of people talking. I walked around the other side and looked in a different window only to see that one of the people was missing the back of his head, the inside of which was filled with wiring and circuitry!