Perhaps riding on the wings of the WWII-era Captain America: The First Avenger, and all the success that came after it, Disney is apparently talking to screenwriters about rebooting its 1991 cult classic, The Rocketeer, which was (probably not coincidentally directed by Captain America's Joe Johnston). Its life began in the early 1980s as a comic book by the late Dave Stevens, which was recently revived when it was picked up by IDW last year. The Rocketeer is having a moment, everyone. Strap on your rocket packs and get ready! (Ed. note: Just realized that if you have a rocket pack, you don't actually need to ride on the wings of anything. Apologies for the technical error.) (via Spinoff Online)

15 Responses to “Disney might be preparing a remake of The Rocketeer

1. Manny says:

I’m still waiting for the sequel.

2. crummett says:

About time! I love that movie.

3. Grey Devil says:

I’m hesitant about this news. On many levels i think that the character, comics, and even the movie are really underappreciated. A new movie done right would be pretty great and bring the character the attention he deserves.

On the other hand i do fear that it’ll just be a cash-in and they won’t put much effort or thought into the reboot and destroy what little credibility The Rocketeer has. For now i’ll try to remain hopeful.

4. bizwack says:

They’d better have hot Jennifer Connelly from ’91 starring in this new one too.

• Phil Worthington says:

Oh – I wish… that long silken gown, tumbling, caressing, fluttering… I need to go and lie down.

5. Brainspore says:

I liked the original, but it seemed like they had all the special effects and resources they needed to do it right the first time.

6. Art says:

Just please don’t tell me it’s going to be a “Steampunk” Rocketeer:)

7. Gee Bees, Zeppelins, Rocket Packs, and Nazi villains.  What’s not to love? :)

8. Gerald Mander says:

Disney, masters of “It isn’t broke, so let’s fix it.”

9. Cocomaan says:

Pretty soon we’ll get remakes from 2001. Oh wait.

• artbyjcm says:

Here’s for a new Lord of the Rings directly after the Hobbit trilogy comes out, which after a few years, will be followed by a new Hobbit trilogy. Peter Jackson will never direct anything else, ever again.

10. “cult classic, The Rocketeer, which was (probably not coincidentally directed by Captain America’s Joe Johnston).”

Which was?

11. artbyjcm says:

That was one of my favorite movies when I was a kid! I noticed in tomorrowland at Disneyland there’s a popcorn machine that has a figure turning a crank of the Rocketeer. I was so happy to see that. But even more to my surprise, in the revamped entrance of California Adventure, there’s a shop that has mannequins up on the second story, and while there’s no helmet or rocket pack, it absolutely is his costume. I think the woman’s costume is also from the film. It’s a good time to be a Rocketeer fan. =D

12. Ed Savage says:

Better have a Betty Page look-a-like…