Rocket ship/doll house

39 Responses to “Rocket ship/doll house”

1. PrettyBoyTim says:

It reminds me a bit of this death star toy I wanted when I was a kid:

Although, actually what it reminds me more of is the DIY one my Mum built for us. The official one was made from cardboard and cost a lot of money. Therefore my Mum got out the bandsaw and some plywood and made us one herself.

At the time I didn’t think it was as cool because it didn’t have the ‘authentic’ Death Star art on it, but we played with it for years – it was incredibly durable. I wouldn’t be surprised if she’s still got it in the hold of her boat somewhere…

2. Jean Baptiste says:

It would’ve been nice if the company had chosen to show a boy AND a girl playing with it in the photo, I think…

• xzzy says:

That’s not nearly enough kids playing with it to be truly impartial. You need three or four different skin tones to really seal the deal.

• Jean Baptiste says:

Gender stereotypes such as this tend to insure that young girls will be less likely to develop and/or maintain interests in math, science, technology, engineering, etc.  Yes, inclusivity of children of color in ads such as this would be a good thing too, but you have to start somewhere.  I see one very white little boy.  A little girl (of any ethnicity) would be welcome.

• Henry Pootel says:

On the other hand it’s a boy playing with a doll house so…

• chgoliz says:

No, it isn’t.  A home is a place where people live.  This is an exciting work environment.

Actual doll houses come in all sorts of styles.  Some are very plain or rustic.  They’re not gendered.

And yet they are.

• Just_Ok says:

Why just kids?

• RaidenDaigo says:

I thought the child was a genderless clone with short hair.

3. Megan Knight says:

Tim, that is officially one of the coolest comments I have read online.

4. digi_owl says:

So is it for the kid, the dad, or both? ;)

5. Ramone says:

Dollhouse? I think you mean ACTION FIGURE PLAYSET!

(Batteries not included.)

6. aljones15 says:

I just love the thought of your Christmas :) so many thougful gifts (mouse for wife rocket ship for you) you will have the coolest toys. Everyone will want to come over and play with you :)

7. dejoh says:

Watch your language when you step on one of those little pieces in the middle of the night.

8. lorq says:

Strongly reminiscent of a softish-plastic, cylindrical, multilevel rocket-dollhouse I had in the early ’70s.  Scaled to the MPC “plastic spacemen” of the day.  Opened and shut like a briefcase.  Anybody remember this?

9. pjcamp says:

Barbie’s Dream Missile.

The perfect gift for the guy with all the bananas.

10. mariancisar says:

I’ve seen this. Lots of small parts. It seemed like it was constructed from compressed paper. As long as you aren’t too rough with it, it should last a while. If you have destructive kids, look elsewhere.

• Ramone says:

“…seemed like it was constructed from compressed paper.” Now that’s the weirdest description of “wood” from FSC managed forests I’ve ever heard of.

So “destructive kids” = arsonists?

11. Paul Souders says:

What’s cool is the floors are perpendicular to the direction of travel, so at a constant acceleration of 1G the astronauts can have Earthlike gravity.

The deck plans of 99% of all scifi spaceships have bugged me for like 30 years. What holds Cmdr. Adama to the floor, huh? HUH? Magnets?

12. Boundegar says:

Rocket ships are for boys.  Doll houses are for girls.  This toy therefore promotes perversion, and must be destroyed.

13. We actually bought this for our sons (2 & 4 yrs.) for x.mas last year. They played with it for two days and quickly got bored. While all the little custom pieces are cool, there’s too many to keep organized. It certainly looks cool but lacks on usability.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

They played with it for two days and quickly got bored.

Well, duh. You should have told them that they’re only allowed to play with it one day per week.

• chgoliz says:

Pack it away and bring it out again when they’re 7 and 5. Right now they’re too young for detailed imaginative play. Their fine motor skills aren’t ready for such tiny pieces.

Unit blocks (wooden blocks with mathematical precision….2 triangles are exactly one square, rectangle is exactly the same size as 2 squares, etc.) are a great investment. They can build their own rocket ship instead.

14. Does it have a lot of small parts/choking hazzards?

15. If it’s a dollhouse, where’s Eliza Dushku?

16. Henry Pootel says:

Here’s an old school popup book that folds out to a space station.  Circa mid 60′s.

17. Robert Cruickshank says:

I remember being a bit ticked-off as a child when I got a Major Matt Mason book and read the statement on the copyright page stating something about Mattel owning the trademark for their DOLL. They actually put DOLL in all caps, for some reason, perhaps just to make 6-year-old boys’ heads explode.
    (edit) You can read said book here, if you are in the mood for moon worms and giant space-rabbits): http://www.majormattmason.net/blb.htm

18. Glad to see an acknowledgement of Major Matt Mason.  The Mattel space station set lacked advances like a solar array as seen in the article.