World's tallest mohawk

25 Responses to “World's tallest mohawk”

1. Itsumishi says:

Because nothing says I hate conformity like a black leather jacket, Doc Martin’s and a mohawk.

2. Joel Finkle says:

and to rebel against doorway lintels

3. Shibi_SF says:

I guess that the Houston Chronicle’s regular readers need phonetic help pronouncing Japanese names.

• John Aguirre says:

Not to mention that the phonetic help they provided is wrong.  BE would be pronounced as “beh”, not “bee”.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Also, accented syllables don’t work like they do in English.  The grand example being the difference between English and Japanese pronunciations of Kurosawa.  It ain’t pronounced “kerra SOW! uh”.

• benher says:

I never did understand it. They only have 5 Vowel sounds People! In English we have a million-brazillion. A is always “ah, O is always “Oh” E is always “ay” U is always “Oo” and I is always “ii”

Koo-row-sah-wahhhhhh!!!! BLOOORUGHHH!!

• Paul Renault says:

I my experience,  pronounce the roman-/latin-written Japanese as if it was french.  Also, like french, you have to attentuate the accenting of the syllables.

So ku-roe-saw-wah would be closer…depending on how you pronounce those words, of course.
          I haven’t been able to think of an english word that’s pronounced like the short u in ‘ku’  – think of Meg Ryan trying to pronounce ‘Lii-uc’ in ‘French Kiss’.

4. ChicagoD says:

Watanabe is a Mohawk name? I always thought it was Japane . . . ah, OK, I get it now.

5. EH says:

Not a mohawk, sorry. That’s a textbook shampoo-horn.

6. Boundegar says:

I’m old enough to remember when that hairstyle was unironic.  *sigh*

7. Navin_Johnson says:

Reminds me of seeing The Exploited when I was 15.  Their mohawks were impressive at the start of the show but all flaccid and flopped over by the end……

8. bcsizemo says:

rebel against the conformity of Japanese society.

Japan, the place that exports school girl tentacle rape illustrated stories…?

I know what he means, but come on, lets narrow it down to a specific area of conformity.  Cause frankly Japan has it’s own special brand of weird.

9. Donald Petersen says:

Wow.  Does it really take two hours to get it up like that?  I guess most of that time must involve hanging one’s head out the window while the product dries.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

If I were making a towering do, I’d use concentrated gelatin.  It’s stronger, and it doesn’t have to dry, just cool off.

10. TwilightNewsSite says:

Judging by the post-post-punk consternation in the comments here, I’d say, “Mission accomplished.”

And he should ditch the gel; it just weighs it down after a certain point, especially five minutes after you’ve walked away from the mirror.  Hairspray only.  Maybe a little conditioner to get rid of fly-aways, but that’s it.

11. BombBlastLightingWaltz says:

this is reminiscent of Dreyfuss stacking mashed potatoes in Close Encounters.