13 Responses to “Saving Mr. Banks starts shooting, marks the first time Walt Disney is portrayed on film”

1. Stefan Jones says:

This should be interesting. Mary Poppins was the earliest Disney movie I specifically remember seeing, as in going to the theater to see during its theatrical run. My memories of the event are tied in with a cereal (Sugar Puffs?) box premium toy . . . a little plastic chimney that shot a little plastic Dick Van Dyke into the air.

I remember listening to an NPR interview with Travers. She was a seriously batty and paranoid lady.

• Aeron says:

“a little plastic chimney that shot a little plastic Dick Van Dyke into the air.”

That makes me happy in so many ways. :)

• welcomeabored says:

I’m curious . . . what happened in the interview that led you to believe that Travers was batty and paranoid?

I also am old enough to have seen ‘Mary Poppins’ in its original theatre run.  Somewhere in the house is the Mary Poppins doll I received for Christmas that year (1964).  My mother saved it for me and gave it to me again when I was in my thirties.

I have the 1964 Horseman version of the doll (for sentimental reasons, since I don’t collect dolls).  The later versions look creepily like a manic Julie Andrews.

2. jarable says:

I’m thinking it was Shreddies.  They had all the Disney toys. I’m sure I still have a “Herbie the Love Bug” toy somewhere

3. Disney has been portrayed on film before. Perhaps Cats meow by Bogdonavich, or some other vaguely orson welles bio sort of film.

4. copyace says:

I think he was portrayed just fine in Robot Chicken.

5. DonBoy2 says:

Disney is a character in the Annette Funicello made-for-TV biopic “A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes”:

In which we might notice that Annette’s second husband, seen briefly at the end, looks a fair amount like Uncle Walt:

6. Oh the drama! I can’t tell if this is going to be ‘tribute’ or ‘punishing’ to Walter!? It says Travers “hated” it! That can’t be great, right?

7. Deidzoeb says:

I can haz Saving Carl Barks?

8. Nate Parrish says:

Wasn’t Walt Disney portrayed in RKO 281?

9. GeorgeMokray says:

PL Travers was a lot more than Mary Poppins.  Read her essays in _What the Bee Knows_.