A Gumby moment, brought to you by Nicolas Cage

18 Responses to “A Gumby moment, brought to you by Nicolas Cage”

1. TheKaz1969 says:

Now I want a Moon Boggle…

2. Adam Parfrey says:

this is weird and brilliant of Nic Cage… remember too that at that time his best friend was Crispin Glover….

3. Christopher says:

The movie would have been so much better if Cage had used the telephone voice instead.

4. Voodoolock says:

I had guessed that the voice he uses is similar to buddy holly when he’s singing the chorus of the that eponymous song.

5. Arys says:

This is exactly what I try to keep in mind when I watch him in PSGM. His vocal choice has always irritated me, though.

6. Voodoolock says:

Interesting… my guess had been that he based it off of Buddy Holly’s voice from the chorus of the song Peggy Sue. Really squeaky.

7. Thad Boyd says:

I also can’t help but notice that Nicolas Cage bears very little resemblance to Luke Cage, the superhero he named himself after.

8. hypnosifl says:

The source for the story on Cage’s voice IMDB, which isn’t always reliable since anyone can submit an edit, they do have a staff to double-check the submissions but who knows how reliable they are. Wikipedia mentions the same story so the IMDB editor might have considered that a verification, but if you look at the interview with Cage that wikipedia uses as a source, it verifies that he was inspired by Pokey but doesn’t say anything about him convincing Francis Ford Coppola that it was a good idea, maybe Coppola just grudgingly went along with it.

9. vonbobo says:

Pokey sounds like someone trying to imitate a voice like that, where Cage sounds like maybe he really does has a voice like that.

10. BarBarSeven says:

Dear Jamie,

I gave you some grief in the SNL recap post since I felt—and still feel—it was a bland, predictable piece.

In contrast, this is the exact kind of post I know I & others come to Boing Boing for.  Great work! Keep on this track!

BB7

11. Phil Knight says:

I would have preferred it if he had used the voice of Monty Python’s Gumbys

12. awjt says:

RUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNKKKKLLLLLE!!!!!!!!

13. Carpeteria says:

Interesting – that’s the not voice I remember Pokey having. Sure enough, he did have a different one, I assume later on in the series. It’s deeper and a bit more nasal sounding:

(Skip to about 2:00 for a good spot of dialogue)

It’s a little closer to the Cage voice, but still not there.

14. kiptw says:

The voice threw me, too. I always assumed he was doing a Marlon Brando kind of thing — not a good Brando, but what somebody at the time might think sounded like him, trying to make a persona. (See also: “Goodman Buys a Gun” by Harvey Kurtzman and Will Elder)