I write books. My latest is a YA science fiction novel called Homeland (it's the sequel to Little Brother). More books: Rapture of the Nerds (a novel, with Charlie Stross); With a Little Help (short stories); and The Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow (novella and nonfic). I speak all over the place and I tweet and tumble, too.

25 Responses to “Winners of the Pirate Flix Video Remix contest”

1. Isn’t this perfectly legal? Obama videos as president are under public domain, and the music is arguably parody/satire. So isn’t every part of this video IP legal in the USA?

Actually what’s pirated is probably the Mitt Romney footage but you can probably claim parody and get away with that.

*** TOTALLY NOT A LAWYER YOU SHOULD NOT TRUST ME ****

2. The political message here is un-nuanced and off-base. Amazed by how the people attacking Obama from the left are almost always men from the creative class (usually white too, although not in this case). They have much less to lose if Romney wins. You never hear this stuff from women, low-wage workers, etc…

What a luxury.

• EH says:

Fantastic population of straw-people!

• AwesomeRobot says:

Or you know, it’s a parody video for fun.

• Guest says:

Free speech is a luxury. Good that you never hear this stuff from women, low-wage workers, etc…  Wait, what?

• The political message may be un nuanced, but it’s a fantastic take and adaptation of 99 problems. Given that it’s a remix competition entry and not a campaign video I’m totally fine with this.

• But it’s not even terribly original. This meme of cutting up videos of politicians so they sing/rap has been around for years. There are countless other examples since at least 2004.

And there are better/funnier comedic takes on “99 problems”: http://thoughtcatalog.com/2011/a-speculative-list-of-jay-zs-99-problems/

• Well I was in the V&A the other day and they had the gall to hang an oil painting – so passé.

• This meme is comparable to oil paintings?

• What meme?

I gather you mean remixing videos to 99 problems. I’m not sure that’s a meme, is it? Maybe it is, maybe it isn’t.

But I don’t think that disqualifies it from being appreciated after 2004. Video remixing may be fun and quirky but it’s an artform in itself, a tricky one at that.

I enjoyed it anyway – and my point was that just because it’s been done before doesn’t mean it can’t be done again (especially when done so well). I’ve seen more oil paintings of guys in wigs than I could shake a stick at, but it doesn’t reduce the artform to a meme.

Edit: BB, why do you insist on using an outdated version of Disqus? I’m currently typing into a box barely big enough to see a single word.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

BB, why do you insist on using an outdated version of Disqus?

Because Disqus 2012 does absolutely nothing except remove the settings page that allows us to control appearance. The comment box is fixed and immovable at the top of the thread, the sort order defaults to Newest First and the page only loads 30 comments at a time, all of which undermine the already weak hope that commenters will read the thread before commenting.

We’ve tried to foster a real conversation, and they’ve tried to turn it into Twitter.

• Spoilsport.

I’ve found it it to be vast improvement all round, each to their own I guess!

3. Andrei Mavritansky says:

The Mitt bits sounded (fittingly) like the computerized product of some speech generating device.

4. Mr. Winka says:

FYI, those clips of Obama were taken out of context.

5. HubrisSonic says:

yeah, the obama one was kinda tea-tastic…

6. ‘ The price of freedom is constant vigilance . The reward for freedom is parody . ‘

7. 2 things….great juxtaposition of the dream/drone bit and wow could Mitt BE any whiter?!?!

8. i lolled myself sick when i saw the Martin Luther King Jr drop at the end.
    its nice to see someone remind us that with regards to any American election: Whoever Wins, We Loose.

9. That 99 problems video wasn’t just amazingly done/curated/edited whathaveyou, but it was also genuinely funny.

Good job to those involved.

10. puppybeard says:

1st video is very well done, but unfortunately I’m sick of looking at those two lads.

2nd video is a lot of fun, nerd indulgence of the most entertaining kind, and very well put together.

But chimps rapping and dancing is all I ever need. What a video.

11. capsteve says:

Brilliant! Cecil would be proud.