Girl dresses as a different person every school day

15 Responses to “Girl dresses as a different person every school day”

1. ObeyMyBrain says:

I don’t really understand the last line of the article,

“And she has so far agreed to her mother’s idea — a twist on doing something different. After the holidays, Stella’s costume will be the same day in, day out — unlike any of her classmates.

She’ll wear a school uniform.”

Is she going to, at her mother’s urging, wear a school uniform when she doesn’t have to and none of the other kids are? Or are all the kids going to be wearing uniforms and hers will be some sort of psychological costume? Or something. I’m not sure.

• lafave says:

I think the former. And so begins the crushing of a little girl’s imagination.

• jimh says:

Yay Stella!!!
        I’m not so sure that this kid’s imagination is so crush-able. I’m sure it will come out in other ways!

Maybe the execution of this idea has become unsustainable, either financially or energetically? Or it had just run its course? People often stop working in one creative direction and then devote that energy to another area. With parents, friends, and even a school that are so supportive, I’m sure that she will continue to be a bright, imaginative, young artist!

2. Mister44 says:

It’s a chore to get my girls school uniform ready. I can’t imagine having to plan a costume every day.

3. Boundegar says:

If you’re the only one wearing it, it’s not a uniform.  Just saying.

• B E Pratt says:

On the album ‘Burnt Weenie Sandwich’ Frank Zappa replies to an audience member who is (unintelligibly) yelling something at him, “Everyone in this room is wearing a uniform and don’t kid yourself”.

4. welcomeabored says:

Her creative parents? are worn out? by the additional time and attention needs of their creative child? and have ‘talked her into’ wearing the uniform of conformity? just to be ‘different’?  What?

See Ritalin thread below.  Let’s reexamine our notions of what choices children really have.  What do we mean by ‘active participation’ when it comes to children?

5. Sekino says:

Man, I was so happy reading this article… until the uniform part :(

Why make it uniform every day? Why not go down to one or two costumes a week? Many people totally suck at history knowing important figures (especially female). To have a child who has such a natural interest and finds a way to make it engaging to the other children around her is truly a wonderful thing.

I wore an uniform throughout high-school. To this day, I absolutely loathe navy blue.

6. I hadz the happy at the beginning but now I haz the sads
    (3:)

7. AaronBoiron says:

Pictures or it didn’t happen.