Elfquest: The shapeshifter's farewell

By Wendy and Richard Pini at 8:00 am Mon, Oct 29, 2012

Page 8 of The Final Quest: Prologue is published online-first for the first time here at Boing Boing. First time reader? You're a few issues behind.

Published 8:00 am Mon, Oct 29, 2012

About the Author

Conceived in the heat of creativity early 1977. Born in the throes of Ypsilantean adversity on February 28, 1978. Entering that long golden afternoon even now.

17 Responses to “Elfquest: The shapeshifter's farewell”

1. David Miz says:

Gorgeous! The colors and effects are so rich on this one. Also Kimo’s comment really highlights the human/elf difference and gives some insight into his choice to leave the Wolfriders and the elves’ (non)reaction to that choice.  What’s a few decades for elves that can live a few thousand years?

2. Tavie says:

Oh this is wonderful! I love kimo speak/growling in his half transformed state! Fascinating!

3. Tavie says:

What happened to his green belt?

4. David Miz says:

Also, what hinting is going on about Dart’s flickering vs shining and Kimo’s reference to another “eyes meeting eyes” (i.e., Recognition) for Dart????

5. Margherita Tramontano says:

Umm, I guess he simply meant “When we meet again, maybe you’ll have found someone or somebody you love”.
    By the way, what do you think is happened to Serrin and Bowki in all this centuries? Maybe Dart has some grand-grandchild among the Sun Folk.

6. Yay! an index!  Also, I love Kimo and Dart, I always saw them as a couple.

• Margherita Tramontano says:

Umm, no. Wendy stated it a while ago: they’re not lovemates, just best friends (“soulbrothers”, since they shared soul names).

• Nancy Eckert says:

Wendy’s also stated that the elves, being pansexual, have most likely “been there, done that” to just about any pairing a fan could imagine. This includes soulbrothers Cutter/Skywise and probably Dart/Kimo as well.

7. Ej Doe says:

I could be reading into it, but I thought Kimo was asking Dart if he loved him enough to share his soul name with him before he left. Dart answered him with, I care for you, but I’m not ready to make such a commitment at this time. Than Kimo replied with “Well maybe when next we meet you will be ready?”

Kind of like when Redlance and Nightfall shared their soul names and formed a Lifemate bond, instead of being just Lovemates.

8. songflower says:

To comment on a couple of posts, Kimo knows Dart’s soul name; he used it in the Forevergreen, and unfortunately Serrin is sure to have died since she was half Wolfrider and did not sleep.

9. songflower says:

But now that I can post, I can also say how thrilled I am to read this every Monday!  It’s the highlight of my week.

10. Forget about all those present-day werewolf guys of “Twilight” or “Vampire Diaries” fame… clearly, Kimo shifting into his wolf form looks way cooler and more beautiful.

11. Marjolein Verheij says:

Still wondering about Newstar’s clothes… or lack thereof ;) Doesn’t seem very suitable for living in the woods.