Giant German pointy swivelling TV from the 1950s/60s

26 Responses to “Giant German pointy swivelling TV from the 1950s/60s”

1. Jake0748 says:

Maybe the most awesome TV I have ever seen.  Funny, but I would have gone nuts over it in 1962, (when I was six years old), and I’m going nuts over it now.  I want one.

• KBert says:

eBay watch list… someday one will show up!
      Antique Trader dot com, Sept. 1, 2011:
      “Although the set doesn’t work, a bidder paid $3,250 during an Aug. 28, 2011 estate sale held by Austin Auction Gallery.
      Bidding opened at $800.”

• noah django says:

hmm… you could probably get it to work with some kinda digital converter these days, but germany’s TVs matched up to a different broadcast standard than other countries (I’m assuming you’re in North America, and it’s definitely different.)  not only were the freqs different, but the way the cathode rays scanned the tube (i.e. pixels per inch) was different and I think the power supply was also different.

anyway, kind of a moot point because since we switched to a digital broadcast standard, even our *own* CRT tvs need to be converted.  But, this is several extra levels of maker project to get this thing operational outside of Germany.

But yeah, it’s pretty sweet, though.  If you can find one, go for it!

2. oasisob1 says:

Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL television set.

3. TheMadLibrarian says:

I betchoo a cookie you could get a cabinetmaker to recreate it, then retrofit it with a BluRay player, flat screen TV, googlephonic stereo, and any other bells and whistles you might want.  Coolio, Daddy-O.

4. That really fills up my Q Zone.

•  No idea what this means, but I like the sound of it. I also would love to see photos of this set in peoples homes from the time, maybe some German family’s holiday snaps?

• There’s a Simpsons episode with a very angular person imbibing Duff in a Space-Age flavored commercial.  He turns into a rocket and takes off.  Just before lift-off he says something like “Duff really fills up my Q-Zone.”

5. Rich Keller says:

I’m trying to figure out if and/or where Germans would put the umlaut in Googie.

I love how the lines are all angular and jet-age, but the material is wood. That would never occur to me.

6. rattypilgrim says:

…And poke your eye out at the same time.

7. Adam Mangels says:

For whatever it’s worth, this TV looks like a miniature model of the Libeskind-designed Denver Art Museum. http://ad009cdnb.archdaily.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/1285955743-dam-0000204cbitterbredt-803×1000.jpg

8. crummett says:

That has major Maker project written all over it!

9. howaboutthisdangit says:

It was a stylish multi-media center.  That phonograph was hi-fi, I presume.

10. IronEdithKidd says:

WANT!!!!111!!11

11. Martin Bauer says:

Want to see one? The “Museum of Things” in Berlin-Kreuzberg has one set on display. It’s huge! http://www.museumderdinge.de/

12. Robert Cruickshank says:

Moses Znaimer has one of these in his TV museum in Toronto. The web page says that they’re currently closed, but moving to a new location in 2013.

13. grimatongueworm says:

The ONLY way to watch SCHPROCKETZ!!

14. Marc says:

It’s so fascinating, I don’t think I’d ever get past it’s beauty to want to turn the thing on and ruin its presence…