Read more in Music at Boing Boing

I write books. My latest is a YA science fiction novel called Homeland (it's the sequel to Little Brother). More books: Rapture of the Nerds (a novel, with Charlie Stross); With a Little Help (short stories); and The Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow (novella and nonfic). I speak all over the place and I tweet and tumble, too.

20 Responses to “Phish performs all of Talking Heads' Remain in Light

1. Gene Ehrbar says:

If you liked this, the previous year’s Halloween cover of The Who’s “Quadrophenia” and 1998′s cover of the Velvet Underground’s “Loaded” were pretty awesome, too…

2. noah django says:

the hippies that I used to work with explained that this is a Halloween tradition for Phish.  They pick out an album every year as a “musical costume,” and pretend to be that band.  I heard they also do The Velvet Underground and Nico and a bunch of albums that I like a whole lot better than Phish.

Great idea, and nowadays you see more artists doing it both as a cover and by the original artists as a way to tour with their most popular material.  But yeah, Phish.

3. jarmstrong says:

Halloween 1995 (Quadrophenia) was my first Phish show. It was a mind/face-melting experience.

A good time was had by all…

4. Gene Ehrbar says:

Hippies are a relatively recent addition to the Phish scene (in geological time, anyhow).  We’re really more running shoes than Birkenstocks…

5. spiffw says:

Their performance of Dark Side of the Moon post-Halloween 1998 is pretty sweet.  Great Gig in the Sky is especially…different.

6. jdollak says:

I think the Phish scene has changed a bit over time.  They’ve been playing together since the 80s, so their demographic has had time to age a bit.

7. salsaman says:

I was at this show– one to remember!  They handed out “PHISHBILL” programs, laid out like a PLAYBILL for a Broadway show, with the album cover of Remain In Light redone with the Phish guys:

8. phlavor says:

I was there. It was maybe the fourth time I saw them and it absolutely blew me away. One of the top ten musical experiences of my life.

9. Scott Finkeldei says:

10/31/94 - Beatles
    10/31/95 - The Who
    10/31/96 - Talking Heads
    10/31/98 - Velvet Underground
    plus one surprise performance of Pink Floyd’s The Dark Side of the Moon on November 2, 1998–just two days after the band performed the music of The Velvet Underground
    10/31/09 - Rolling Stones
    10/31/10 - Little Feat
    they spend a lot of time practicing and let the fans vote for what album they should try and learn and cover. One year Zappa’s Joe’s Garage got the most votes but it so much overdubbing and Zappa had requested that some songs never be played live again so it was scrapped.

10. swlabr says:

This is ambitious and impressive. But interpreting Adrian Belew’s guitar leads from 1980 is a tall order…

11. Jon Dart says:

Too bad they couldn’t swing Joe’s Garage. I have recently been listening to their 12/3/97 concert – one nice number is here: http://youtu.be/ANRXqoQpdp0.

12. Martin says:

Too bad they couldn’t swing, period. Doesn’t anyone else notice the utter lack of soul/funk/spirit in this? It’s like it’s being performed by reasonably adept robots. I’ll take ‘Stop Making Sense’ footage over this any day.

13. gellfex says:

Impressive. But I still rank the Heads themselves on the RIL tour as the single best show I’ve ever seen. Plus they were opened by the English Beat. Sublime can’t begin to do justice to that night.

14. The difference between other bands covering an album is that they make it most of the show.  Phish does the album cover usually as the second set of a Halloween show.  If you don’t like the album – you still got the first set, plus the encore if you want to stick around.