Beautiful art from used glasses of Scotch (Plus some nifty fluid mechanics)

11 Responses to “Beautiful art from used glasses of Scotch (Plus some nifty fluid mechanics)”

1. V says:

I don’t understand this concept of ‘scotch left over in the glass’

• Finnagain says:

And I’d like to help with this research.

• Paul Renault says:

Maybe it’s related to those ‘recapping’ devices for bottles of wine.  What the heck are those for?

/btw, Maggie: it’s The Balvenie.

• welcomeabored says:

I had ordered a double Glenlivet while bowling on the Thursday night league last winter.  As far as I was concerned, the glass still had a full swallow left when I turned away to take my turn to bowl.  The cocktail waitress thought otherwise and lifted the glass, then lied about doing it, even as it sat on the tray in her hand.  She understood the concept of ‘scotch left in the glass’ by the time I was willing to drop the subject.

2. silkox says:

I bet the scotch film would look really cool under polarized light/through a polarizing lens.

3. Doomstalk says:

I think the most brilliant part of this is being able to write off single malt as a business expense.

4. Mathias Frank says:

In the case of Scotch, I would say the nifty fluid mechanics could also be located inside the head :-) Looks extremely cool anyway.

5. Kevin She says:

The spectroscopic effect must be done with coloured lights after the “rings” were created. I’ve seen these rings before and I suspect that the irregularities of the rings are from irregularities in the glass. As for the rings themselves, I think that they might be a product of differential evaporation rates caused by fluctuating indoor temperatures overnight; temperatures rise once the thermostat detects it has fallen below threshold then slowly decreases as long as the thermostat is satisfied.

6. So cool!  I’d like to see what this looks like with the curves of the NEAT glass.  http://www.theneatglass.com

7. More research is needed.  Does bourbon, rye, rum, tequila, gin or vodka leave a similar, or different, residue?  Liquors?

Someone needs to give this guy a hand.