When hip hop, science, and education collide

19 Responses to “When hip hop, science, and education collide”

1. Cool K says:

“Oh, and it turns out that GZA is pronounced “Jiz-ah”, and is derived from “genius”.”

Looks like someone is a Wu Tang funk faker…

• No. More like somebody has listened to Wu-Tang and enjoyed it enough to be excited about this project, but is not enough of an aficionado to have ever had a spoken conversation about GZA, specifically. So I’ve just never heard anybody else say it to me.

• noah django says:

>has listened to Wu-Tang
        >So I’ve just never heard anybody else say it to me.

b-but, they say their names *in* the songs

• Yes, I know. But somehow I never put two and two together on that. I know. I’m an idiot. I really have no excuse.

• noah django says:

m(_ _)m ゴメンナサイ
            aw, I don’t think you’re an *idiot* maggie.  quite the opposite.  now I feel bad that we all ganged-up on you ITT.  but calling people out *is* part of hip-hop.  anyway, good looking on the rest of the post and link, I’m quite sure I wouldn’t have seen it otherwise.  props.

2. Rob Wheeler says:

I came across this story while playing Method Man’s Tical album on my laptop. So as a bit of a nerd myself, I REALLY appreciate this.

3. Brian Denton says:

He the head. Let’s put it that way. [Wu-Tang] form like Voltron and the GZA happen to be the head.

• seyo says:

you beat me to it, but I will post it anyway:

Raekwon: And the GZA, the G is just the Genius, he, he’s the backbone of the whole shit

RZA (pronounced rizzah, short for Razor): It’s self explanatory, Genius

Method Man: He the head, let’s put it that way. We form like Voltron, and GZA happen to be the head. You know what I’m sayin.

4. Gendun says:

Welcome to 1993.

Also in science and hip hop news, check out this just-published fMRI study on freestylers:

5. Alan Wexelblat says:

Yeah I went to his talk at MIT a couple months ago. Interesting guy, even if he did dodge the questions on hip-hop and misogyny.

6. Andrei M says:

“I be the body dropper, the heartbeat stopper
    Child educator, plus head amputator”

7. Al Corrupt says:

GZA’s ‘Liquid Swords’ is one of the finest hip hop albums i ever heard.
    The beats are classic, gritty Wu Tang, linked with music and dialogue (and themes) from the incredible 80′s samurai flick – ‘Shogun Assassin’. (Easily the best film around, on the subject of weaponized prams and strollers)

8. GZA= Genius zig-zag-zig Allah. His name comes from the theology of the Nation of Gods and Earths, or the Five Percenters.  Michael Muhammad Knight has written some interesting stuff about these guys.

9. “Zig-zag-zig Allah” gets a shout out on the first Spice Girls single

10. Professor59 says:

Maybe these guys could explain a few things to Insane Clown Posse.  I hear they have some questions about science-y stuff.

11. Geelong College says:

That;s great that GZA is also working with a Columbia professor on an educational program that is well known and that uses rhyme-writing and some of the cultural trappings of freestyle rap to teach science in New York City public schools.Nice.