Atari Flashback 4 console

26 Responses to “Atari Flashback 4 console”

1.  $77.99 seems a bit steep. Cool idea though. They should really be asking like 25 bucks.

• TombKing says:

My spouse got mine at Bed Bath and Beyond for $50 and as I said in my comment below the QFC had them for $40 but they went fast

2. the_dannobot says:

fyi you can buy these at walgreens for only $40
    They make a pretty sweet Sega Genesis too

3. IronEdithKidd says:

They don’t list Berzerk or Pole Position on that list, either.  No thanks, I’ll keep my ancient, fully functional 2600 and box full of games (which includes the above two titles & ET).

• David Pescovitz says:

If you already have a fully functional 2600 and box full of games, should we be surprised that you’re not going to buy it?

• IronEdithKidd says:

Well, no, but I’m somewhat enticed by the notion of wireless controllers and giftability for nostalgia-minded geeks lacking their own functional relics.

• Andrew Singleton says:

Plus keeping said relics from getting dinged all to hell and back.

• robuluz says:

If its like the Sega Genesis one I got, then the wireless is IR and you need a good line of sight with not much range. Plus the whole thing crapped out in about a month.

It was a nice idea though.

• OoerictoO says:

bummer.  i really want some bluetooth  NES and 2600 controllers to use with my xbmc/emulator box.
            of course what i should do is just play on the floor on a beanbag chair 2 feet from a 13″ tv for 8 hours at a time.

• unit_1421 says:

There’s no Joust, Demon Attack or Defender, either!

4. Dale Houston says:

Solaris? That would be much cheaper than the computer I was going to order from Oracle.

5. Donald Petersen says:

Is Warlords playable without paddles?  That game was the most fun I had in front of a TV with 3 other people until, like, 2004.

6. SomeGuyNamedMark says:

It doesn’t have “Custer’s Revenge”?  Bummer

7. heligo says:

I’ve been quite interested to get one of these until I saw this article on Engadget. 1 Raspberry Pi, 1 USB Atari Joystick and a torrent of every 2600 game. How can you beat that?

• blacksmith_tb says:

Not to mention that your RPi can also emulate lots of other consoles (I spent hundreds and hundreds of hours playing 2600 games, but now they are mostly too clunky to amuse my more-jaded self). And the Pi can do lots of other things…

8. TombKing says:

I got one just over a week ago now for my 45th birthday. My spouse said it was one of 3 left at the shop. It is fun and I got reminded of games I had but forgot about now. I have fun with my 11 year old boy playing combat and other things, he isn’t to into the lets take turns games though. In answer to an earlier question Warlords does appear to work with the joysticks. I saw them at the grocery store down the block on sale for $40. On a per game basis it is pretty cheap and fun. My only gripe is RCA cables only for video and audio out.

9. Mister44 says:

Now they need an Intellivision one.

10. I was tempted when I saw this at Family Dollar for $40, but the Amazon reviews say that the controllers need to be aligned precisely and close to the base.  No sitting on the couch with the controller in your lap, like we did in the old days (in this case wired >> wireless).  Maybe the v5 will discover bluetooth…

11. Kevin Gamble says:

For CHRIST SAKES it’s the future, add a bloody button on the right side of the stick so us lefties can play this damned system already!

I bought a Commodore SPECIFICALLY because there were third party joysticks that had the pretty no-brainer idea of two buttons.

12. Brianne Archer says:

How do you play Circus Atari or Super Breakout without the paddles? Too bad it doesn’t have E.T. I had the hardest time getting him out of the pits when I was five but hopefully I have more manual dexterity now.