Mitch O'Connell's stupendously eldritch thrift store art collection

28 Responses to “Mitch O'Connell's stupendously eldritch thrift store art collection”

1. RedShirt77 says:

Talk to a lawyer about making prints of that third one.  That should be required decor in all golf course bars.

2. James Mason says:

For a minute I thought it was Mitch McConnell.  Serious WTF moment.

3. sdmikev says:

This collection is amazing.  I can’t tell if it’s the sum total that make it awesome, or if the majority of the paintings are just plain great in their own way.  Maybe a combination of the two.

4. orwell says:

soon to be a traveling art show viewable at your local gas station bathroom…

5. orwell says:

could we see more and offer up a “naming/title,” contest?

6. nixiebunny says:

We have an actual book called “Thrift Store Paintings” that features over 100 of these treasures. Came from Powell’s used; seriously out of print.

Some decades ago, one of our friends kept commenting on a seriously bad painting that he called “the green Arab” that hung on the wall behind the counter of the local Value Village with an absurd $80 price tag. He kept at it so long that we finally took up a collection among ourselves and bought it for him for his birthday.

7. For an (admittedly talented) artist whose whole career was started by some carefully studied, cloying and derivative pop culture memes, it sort of seems grating and condescending to see him display other people’s ‘bad art’ attempts.
    Maybe it’s just me.

• Mark_Frauenfelder says:

He bought these paintings and they are hanging on his walls. I think he probably likes them a lot more than you do.

8. SedanChair says:

That third painting is my enemy.

9. Nylund says:

Cats, clowns, and naked ladies.  That covers about 90% of the art there.  My question is, is that representative of the actual art found in the thrift stores, or  does it just reflect the tastes of the collector?

• Boundegar says:

That’s perfect, because it also covers 90% of my interests.  Sadly, most thrift store art is reproductions of the Impressionists and posters advertising long-gone museum shows.  Gems like these must be searched out.

10. axlrosen says:

Of course there’s also the Museum of Bad Art in Boston: http://www.museumofbadart.org/

• Ken Williams says:

One of my favorite local artists (in Minneapolis) has voluntarily donated several of her works to the Museum of Bad Art.

11. agitprop says:

Most of these are actually quite good. I guess “bad” is a relative term.

12. Spenardo says:

The clown painting is by an artist named Leslie Emery. It’s one in a series he was commissioned to do for a golf course bar in California. Prints of them show up frequently on eBay (three are available right now). He was better known for his non-clown portraits. He was also a WPA artist. One of my favorite possessions is a large original oil painting of his from the ’50s that I’ve had for over 20 years.

13. Itsumishi says:

The two naked ladies with cats faces growing from their hair are incredible.