EFF creates the "Mark Cuban Chair to Eliminate Stupid Patents"

24 Responses to “EFF creates the "Mark Cuban Chair to Eliminate Stupid Patents"”

1. Xof says:

I have had daydreams of doing this with my wealth, when I have any. This is great.

2. crummett says:

I thought this said “…Eliminate Stupid PARENTS!” A noble effort, but perhaps misguided.

• phlavor says:

Yeah I was well into it before i realized it was actually patents. As much as I would love to, eliminating stupid parents is wrought with legal and moral complications.

3. nixiebunny says:

It’s gonna take a couple billion dollars to get rid of all the stupid patents.

4. Jake0748 says:

Mark Cuban and Markus Persson rock.  My nominees for dudes of the week.

5. Milton Pope says:

They’re too late. I already patented that chair!

6. Larry Dixon says:

This.  Is.  Awesome.

My grandfather was an inventor… creator of, among other things, the Pitch Back, that orange net-and-angled-frame used for decades in baseball training.

He created that because as a career military pilot, he was not around to play baseball much with my father. He created the Pitch Back as a way he could play catch with my dad when he was not actually there in person.

One after another the Dixon family saw knockoffs and outright forgeries of my grandfather’s designs, even after he sold rights to big corps.

Anyway, I celebrated this news about the perfectly-named Chair by going and buying a Humble Bundle.

Go EFF! and thanks for all your hard work.

7. the_wakeful says:

Is this the same Mark Cuban that owns the Dallas Mavericks? Somehow I’m guessing no.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

You’re guessing incorrectly.

• the_wakeful says:

Wow. As a Suns’ fan I’ve spent many years assuming that guy was a raging asshole. Time to reevaluate.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

He’s odd. He identifies himself as philosophically Randian, but his behavior does not necessarily support that declaration.

• Rindan says:

Mark Cuban is a solid lefty libertarian.  He is a social libertarian nut (and I mean that in a good way), doesn’t worship at the feet of corporations, is skeptical of large government institutions, but without the usual libertarian demands to abolish all government and end social welfare and taxes.  He is the ideal of what the Republican party could and should be if they just drove the bat shit crazy out.

• oasisob1 says:

Philiosophically I am randy, too.

8. Cuban’s always very anti-patent trolling on Shark Tank. Kevin O’Leary is always going on about patenting things and suing the violators. Well, not always. Occasionally. And then Cuban yells at him.

I’m pretty sure Kevin is intimidated by Cuban, because he’s by far the richest on the Shark Tank panel. It’s interesting to see Kevin is such a position, because he’s always very confident on Dragons’ Den. I’ve written about this at length in the past because I’m a crazy person: http://polargrizz.tumblr.com/post/33336309458/the-case-against-bruce-croxon-dragons-den

9. Robert says:

Here’s how to reform the patent process.

1. Get an army.

2. Storm the USPTO buildings using the army men.

3. Find any and all rubber stamps, and take them away.

4. Landfill the rubber stamps.

5. Post army men in the mailrooms, making sure that they do not resupply with more rubber stamps.

6. ???

7. Profit!

10. ewertz says:

$250K?  Between the cost of the comfy chair and the lawyer to sit in it, Cuban’s set us up nicely for maybe three months.

Can we do this on a contingent fee instead…? 1/2 :-)

11. MaximumOvertroll says: