Memoir of the making of Willy Wonka by the actress who played Veruca Salt

17 Responses to “Memoir of the making of Willy Wonka by the actress who played Veruca Salt”

1. morcheeba says:

I blame Comic Sans for the $0.00 price tag.

2. Gregg Grose says:

Nice find, thanks Mark.

I will now also have that song in my head for the rest of the day. “I want the works, I want the whole works”

• Ian Wood says:

“I want a feast…I want a bean feast!”

Which, when I was a kid, was dissonant…I didn’t know what it meant, then, and couldn’t reconcile beans with “Cream buns and donuts and fruitcake with no nuts.”

3. There’s so much infringement on that cover…

Just to make sure I stuck ‘chocolate swirl’ into Google Images.

Yup, they used Google images to make the cover. Off to http://lousybookcovers.tumblr.com/ with you!

4. Christopher says:

Look closely at Veruca’s father (Roy Kinnear) and you can tell Veruca is standing right in front of him. Her hat can be seen poking up out of the hat of the larger Veruca in the foreground.

5. ChickieD says:

On one of the DVDs of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory there is an extra DVD where they go back and interview the child stars. I checked on Amazon and there is currently a 40th Anniversary Edition out, so I’m guessing the one I saw was a 30th Anniversary or 25th Anniversary Edition.

This woman was the most interesting interview. She has been a working professional actress for many years:

For $0.00 this is probably worth the price. I thought she was quite articulate.

6. Paul Renault says:

From her WIki page: “Whenever Holly (her daughter) said or did anything brattish, I’d just go, ‘Is there a problem, Veruca? Can I help you?’ That always snapped her out of it.”

She seems to another data point in a Strong Law that actors’ personality is usually the opposite of the roles they are identified with.

7. emo hex says:

Someone do me a solid and post a pdf version.