Interview with Suicide Girls about Homeland, the sequel to Little Brother

12 Responses to “Interview with Suicide Girls about Homeland, the sequel to Little Brother

1. First of all, dang you for mentioning Homeland. I cannot wait for it to come out. Little Brother is one of my favorite books I’ve read.

I hear you on higher ed. One of the problems in with cost again comes down to health care costs in America. Universities want to provide it for their employees and it keeps going up in cost, along with retirement contributions, heating costs, professor salaries, etc.

Then, in places like PA, you have governor’s who keep peeling back the amount of money the state provides these “public” institutions. It sucks, especially for the students.

2. Boundegar says:

My niece will probably graduate with about a quarter million dollar debt.  I weep.

3. solstice2005 says:

@ Millie fink: True as examplified by the piece in the NYT last weekend

4. spoonerist says:

I… that synopsis… just… wow. I feel like that Asian kid being schooled by Julia Stiles about the new wave, the next wave, the DREAM wave! Cory, you are my Julia Stiles. This is like yoga for my eyeballs. You are Julia Stiles as a hacker in 1993 as a yoga instructor for my eyeballs. I am framing this. Literature has just dropped the proverbial mic.

5. spoonerist says:

Hehe… I also like your lead-in:

“I recently sat down with Nicole Powers from Suicide Girls for an interview about the book and the issues it raises…”

Cue interview of yourself. You subversive goofball.

6. Henry Pootel says:

I’m trying to figure out how you combine promoting young adult fiction with an adult lifestyle brand.  I mean beyond the fact that basically you did.

7. Ladyfingers says:

Property’s a massive asset bubble and higher education is a massive asset bubble, both creating life-destroying debt. And in America, you’d better hope you don’t get sick.

Yay, the future.

8. Anton Gully says:

I was lucky enough to go to University in the UK during the early 80s and even got a grant to cover living expenses. Back then 15% or so of the population went to University. The current generation of University goers (approaching 50% of 18 yr olds who’re still in school) will probably never be as affluent as my generation.

The vast majority of businesses in the UK are run by people who didn’t go to University. At the other end of the scale, many of the major new tech companies were created by people who dropped out of or never went to College. An education is a wonderful thing but if my my own experiences is anything to go by I do wonder if there’s much worth in an education that isn’t explicitly self-motivated and self-directed, as opposed to just going to University for the “experience” or because it looks good on your résumé.When I went to Uni – electronic and information engineering, a proper degree :P – all my lecturers said the same thing: getting a university degree reveals an aptitude for sticking at something, but the bulk of your real education will be in work. That was the real importance of it – it allowed employers to filter potential employees. Now employers are still using it as a filter, but the scope is so broad it’s meaningless. My nephew told me that a Masters (which he is working on) is now the new minimum bar for jobs that only required a degree a decade ago.

Also, Suicide Girls is a great site.

• PaulDavisTheFirst says:

you’ve missed out on the other side of the transformation. “everyone needs to go to college” is part of the cover story we’ve been offered to explain how there is supposed to be work for people in first world countries after the wealthy and the powerful have moved so much production to third world countries to cut labor costs and increase profit. “if we all went to college”, then we’ll be smarter than those poor, stupid people from <wherever> and we can all do “21st century jobs”. this has been the claim.

not only is this a stupid and ignorant idea, its a lie and i increasingly feel a quite intentional lie. and yes, i went to university in the UK in the  early 80′s too :)

9. Can’t wait, loved Little Brother.