Delacroix painting defaced with Truther slogan

22 Responses to “Delacroix painting defaced with Truther slogan”

1. That_Anonymous_Coward says:

And this is why we can’t have nice things.

2. chgoliz says:

I’m sure she thinks of herself as conservative and law-abiding.  And somehow Obama is at fault.

Edited to add: no info on if this alleged perpetrator is French or American. If American: what was she doing in an art museum in France? Not the usual Tea Party destination.

• s2redux says:

The Beeb reports that the local prosecutor said she has “a French-sounding name.”

• chgoliz says:

Wow, what a weird factoid to report.  Is it meant to be a clue that she is, in fact, French (or maybe Belgian, since it’s in the north) without officially revealing her name?

• EH says:

To be sure, not every country shares the U.S.’s predilection for broadcasting the identities of people upon mere accusation.

• chgoliz says:

But this is neither fish nor fowl: not reporting the name, and yet hinting at it.  The BBC didn’t have to say anything at all.

Edited to add: your prejudice is showing….the link was to a BBC report, but you somehow assumed it had to be from the US.

• EH says:

I wasn’t the one decrying the lack of identification.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

What makes it ridiculous is that it makes you think of something like Ghislaine de la Rochefoucault, but the most common surname in France is Martin, with Thomas, Robert and Richard also in the top ten.

• random says:

Because at one time it was hard to say if it was the French ruling Britain or the British ruling France, or if there was even any distinction between the two peoples.

3. Saltine says:

“when I hear the word culture, I reach for my gun”

4. The inscription has already been removed. The painting is OK.

5. mattgriffin says:

I think if I saw someone doing that, I would tackle them out of instinct.

6. random says:

Hey America, keep your crazy off of our stuff m’kay?

7. flickerKuu says:

I think they should tattoo “defacer” to her forehead.

• Alexander Janssen says:

Why would anyone do that any people?
      Paying for restoration and a simple conviction for trespassing and property damage should be enough. Could be coupled with a few days of community service. I suggest removing Graffitis from public buildings.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

This is becoming a common form of protest, and I’d prefer to keep our cultural heritage intact, thanks. She can do ten years in prison.