Frank Frazetta's painting of Ringo Starr on the back cover of MAD (1964)

16 Responses to “Frank Frazetta's painting of Ringo Starr on the back cover of MAD (1964)”

1. I like his poster for The Night They Raided Minsky’s

2. planettom says:

So it occurs to me that it’s probably somewhat of a rarity to find these without two vertical creases in them, since the Mad Fold-In is on the flip side of this page, inside back cover.

3. Donald Petersen says:

both beautiful and grotesque, precisely accurate and extravagantly exaggerated

Hell, far as I’m concerned this is downright photorealistic.

4. KBert says:

I also remember this issue; 11 years old, living in a Breck using home, it firmed up my ambition to find a shampoo of my own!

5. dejoh says:

25 cents “CHEAP”

6. RepackRider says:

One my business clients is a longtime music producer.  Among the gold records and such on the wall he has the original “sham”poo ad from Mad Magazine framed and autographed by Ringo.  He told me that Ringo was unaware of it until my friend showed it to him.

7. dantobias says:

It’s a shame MAD now has real ads, crowding some of the fake ones out.

8. echar says:

Frazetta was the bees knees!

9. Meanwhile today over at This Isn’t Happiness

…and his hair is quite glossy

10. Liam Murphy says:

Dear Marge–err, Frank, thanks for the fab painting of yours truly! I hung it on me wall! You’re quite an artist. In answer to your question, yes we do have Hamburgers and Fries in England, but we call French Fries “chips”! Love, Ringo. PS. Forgive the lateness of my reply.

11. niktemadur says:

I remember this one!  But the issue was from the late-70s or early-80s, so it seems Mad occasionally recycled their own material.  Which is ok, I wouldn’t have seen Ringo if they didn’t.

• Halloween_Jack says:

I was wondering if they did more than one BLECCH cover. I remember seeing a parody, but I’m pretty sure I’d remember if it had been Ringo.