Australian pop-out camper that is full of well-thought-out features

Here's a slow, gentle, fascinating demonstration video for the Wedgetail slide-on camper, "built for rough Australian terrain." It's a pretty amazing feat of engineering, with lots of thoughtful features. But what really gets me is in the money shot where the whole thing opens up like some kind of origami trick. Big things hidden in little things! Hell yeah!

Wedgetail slide on camper demonstration (Thanks, Fipi Lele!)

42 Responses to “Australian pop-out camper that is full of well-thought-out features”

1. Hirsty says:

So happy.

2. sam1148 says:

Wow, that’s amazing.

3. brerrabbit23 says:

For the lazy – US$ 47,328 fully loaded

4. BarelyFitz says:

I prefer my camper demonstrations to have more cursing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NO05RfHO_4s

5. 10xor01 says:

Get out of my dreams, and onto my truck!

6. jimh says:

WANT. Also, this guy is awesome. I want to hear him explain LOTS MORE STUFF.

• Jardine says:

I watched the whole thing and I don’t even like camping. There was just something about the way he was going through everything that made him seem like just a regular guy. I think my expectation with a sales video like this is a sales douche with a heavy emphasis on marketing terms. This guy just goes through the features and says what you could use them for and why they put them there. Instead of calling the fridge an “executive premiere cooling unit”, he calls it a fridge. I did notice that getting into the fridge from the outside looked fairly difficult if you’re short.

• David Kopelman says:

He said “insict mish”.
      I love ‘strine.

• ludd says:

This guy knows his stuff and seems a very genuine bloke. But that is not a standard Australian accent. On a first listen I thought it had many English overtones. There are also plenty of New Zealand ‘isms too and the vowel shift that David notes is indicative – of Kiwi-speak – not Strine. If I had to put money on it I would say he was a Pom who emigrated to NZ and then  moved to Australia – where he has been for quite some time. That is a very well thought camper BTW. But when I was a boy 47 grand was a lot of money. Now I cant afford it. Perfect for the cashed up “grey nomad” though.

• ocker3 says:

He’s not ‘strine, but I reckon he wouldn’t turn any heads if he ordered food in any Aussie city. He’s obviously educated. I wouldn’t at all be surprised to find someone with that kind of accent working in a school or university somewhere in NSW or Qld

• Diogenes says:

He’s the Bob Ross of Australian RV sales!

7. Includes ergonomic perch for baby-eating dingoes.

8. bobcorrigan says:

What a lovely man.

9. Michael says:

It looks a lot bigger from the inside than the outside!

10. noah django says:

bonkers.  want.

11. Morgan Blodgett says:

Very impressive.

Little worried about the safety of indoor food access. Main rule of camping, at least in the USA: KEEP FOOD AWAY FROM WHERE YOU SLEEP. Attracts bears and whatnot. Nothing ruins a camping trip faster than a sheet of canvas separating you and the smell of food from a bear.I dunno about australia. Don’t think koalas are much of a threat. Maybe dingoes.

• Preston Sturges says:

Your main threat in that area is salt water crocs, very poisonous snakes, very poisonous spiders, very poisonous jellyfish.

I’m pretty sure its resistant to jellyfish.

• Morgan Blodgett says:

Bah, give nature time. Flying camper attacking animals is a niche that has not yet been filled. Jellyfish are just as poised as any to fill it.

•  Yes, having camped on all continents, this camper is well suited for Australia, less so for other places. ‘Creepy crawlies’ indeed: you don’t want to go for a piss in the middle of the night in northern OZ and step on a croc. There’s a reason why tents are not popular there and why australian invented car roof tents. In crowded Europe I’m a lot more worried about discretion, I prefer a large but standard car with no outside sign that people may be sleeping in it. In northern America you can still put your food outside. And in Antarctica the mosquito nets without windows are not well suited…  ;-)

• John Farrier says:

If it was jellyfish resistant, he probably would have mentioned it in the video. That would be a major selling point.

• ocker3 says:

Koalas might get confused by that jungle pattern on his bed for a moment, but they’re Very picky eaters, gum leaves and only certain types at certain times of the year. Dingos ‘mostly’ stay away from humans, apart from in areas where stupid people feed them and they get desensitised to humans.

The biggest problem you face while camping in Australia really are the biting insects and ants

• Dan Toomey says:

Cheers for the heads-up, but you’re in more danger of a 12ft salt water crocodile than a bear!

12. Preston Sturges says:

The truck snorkel seems to be pretty standard in the NE coast.

13. Timmo Warner says:

This is the greatest camper I have ever seen.

14. Van Diemen says:

Did you hear him say ‘doona’ a couple of times?
    That is Australian for ‘duvet’.

• Brad H. says:

We also call bedding; manchester. No idea why.

• John Tanner says:

Because all of your cotton sheets used to be shipped to Auz/NZ from Manchester, UK in crates stamped “Manchester” :)

• ludd says:

Because a vast textile manufacturing industry was once centred in Manchester. Lots of cotton from the colonies were  transformed into sheets, quilts etc. Manchester=Bedding.

15. Richard Schneider says:

Some guys watched Transformers much harder than other guys.

16. Tathy Sparmdonner says:

It’s a great camper and a nice presentation. But this Renault 4 Camper http://youtu.be/YkcNeL4BNOs?t=11s is great too. (Jaques Tati: Trafic)  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069400/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

17. John Farrier says:

I love it! My favorite part is that so many features, like the stove and the fridge, are accessible from both the inside and the outside.

18. Woody Smith says:

Forty-seven large is not a lot of money for a house you can drive.

19. ocker3 says:

I Really hope the video was shot and edited by his wife Madge, that would just make my day.

But he probably got someone to do it professionally, I mean the entire unit isn’t something he knocked up in the garage, it’s been produced by some serious people.

20. James C Wise says:

how would this thing handle a midwest thunderstorm with wind gusts?  that would be a wild night.
    jc

21. MooseDesign says:

What a delight… 15 minutes well spent.