From the Mario Piano site, where you'll find "authentic, high-fidelity Mario sheet music that was entirely faithful to the original Mario themes and sound effects, and which could be trusted to be 100% accurate," the sheet music for the Mario "coin" sound.

Mario Piano Sheet Music - Coin Sound (via Hacker News)

Derp: Mark blogged this one back in October! Discuss

23 Responses to “Sheet music for the Mario "coin" sound”

1. mzed says:

ZOMG, thank you! This has been eluding me for years.

2. brendan kiefer says:

How can sheet music be high-fidelity?

• The second definition for the term and the one I use more often:

conforming exactly or almost exactly to fact or to a standard or performing with total accuracy; “an accurate reproduction”

I’m guessing that’s what they mean.

• ldobe says:

Sheet music is to an MP3 as SVG is to a JPEG.

Can you slow down a recording of Adagio for Strings to 16% it’s original speed while still keeping true to the instrumental sound?  I should think not, even with today’s best, most compute intensive algorithms.  But an orchestra composed of analog human brains and a bunch of wood, metal and catgut can manage it with the sheet music just fine.  Of course they’ll probably suffer some fatigue, but that’s only natural.

Sheet music is INFINITE fidelity.  It just requires the instruments and people to make that infinite fidelity audible.

3. theophrastvs says:

thankgness they have that explicit bass rest or else we’d default to a snazzy boogiewoogie with our restless left hand (syndrome)

4. Jason Horowitz says:

And I always thought the first note was a pick-up. Guess I was wrong all these years….

5. Pat R x 2 says:

If an ascending fourth can be copyrighted, most of us composers are well and truly screwed. Help us here, Cory…

• allenmcbride says:

This is interesting. I vaguely remember years ago reading about a rock band that included a take-off on John Cage’s 4’33″ on an album (titled a different time length, I think), and credited Cage as co-songwriter. If I recall correctly, Cage’s estate asked for royalties, and the band had to pay, but only because they had credited Cage… I seem to recall that all agreed that the idea of a silent musical piece in itself was not copyrightable, and yet the particular piece of art 4’33″ was. So maybe this would be the same situation… like Nintendo isn’t trying to copyright the melody itself, but rather the piece of art as a whole. So you could play a fourth and sell it but couldn’t play a fourth and say “this is the Mario coin sound” and sell that without paying royalties. Of course, not a lawyer; could be way off here.

6. xzzy says:

Not going to lie, I actually googled for this a few years back and used it. I needed a coin sound for a game I was working on, but didn’t want to actually rip off a sample of Nintendo’s game. So as I was digging around to find what kind of sound wave was used to make the noise, I came across the sheet music too.

I did pick different notes, just because. But the interval was the same. :D

7. Nathan says:

If we think of it in terms of number of times their compositions have been played, based solely on this one piece, Koji Kondo is quite possibly the most successful composer mankind has ever known.

8. awjt says:

Well.  Glad THAT’S settled.

9. Ivan Antonov says:

superb ;) all rights reserved. playing h-e prohibited!!

10. Paul Renault says:

If you play one note, it’s fair dealing.  But two notes..it’s copyright infringement, eh?

11. D says:

A great notification sound on the phone.

12. IndexMe says:

Secret code if played backwards?

13. Andrea says:

Should’a known it’d be a perfect fourth.