EFF blasts plans to build DRM into HTML5

12 Responses to “EFF blasts plans to build DRM into HTML5”

1. SpookyFM says:

God, I skipped the “blasts” in the title: “EFF plans to build DRM into HTML5″ – WTF?

2. fuzzyfuzzyfungus says:

Architecturally, if the hooks that allow the browser to communicate with the ‘CDM’ are in-scope, the W3C should basically just throw up their hands and declare absolutely anything that can paint pixels within a browser window to be a ‘web standard’ and call it a day.

3. Boundegar says:

I wonder how long it would be before I could download a plugin to end-run the DRM?

• fuzzyfuzzyfungus says:

Time-to-crack for DRM systems varies a bit, the same would presumably be true here, for various different CDMs.

Perhaps more insidiously, though, the EME design(see the diagram) allows for CDMs that, in practice, more or less entirely replace the browser for the purposes of a given video, which would make a plugin-based attach much more challenging as well as bringing back the wonderful world of arbitrary-stuff-embedded-in-webpages, just like the good old days of flash, shockwave, java, and activex at every turn.

(The phrases of special concern are, bottom left and bottom right, respectively, “CDM may use or defer to platform capabilities” and “CDM implementations may return decrypted frames or render them directly”. So, the EME ‘standard’ really boils down to a few bits of javascript boilerplate to wrap around a CDM that could be, and quite possibly will be, a platform specific, or even hardware-based, black-box  DRM module that handles everything except downloading the encrypted video. It’s honestly rather breathtaking in its hostility to all things web.)

4. stephenl123 says:

This is the same W3C that states its goal as constantly breaking a significant percentage of websites in pursuit of the higher goal of absolute standardization and compatability.

5. stephenl123 says:

Boing Boing now requires me to turn off Pop Up blocking in order to post?

6. stephenl123 says:

Here is the warning that I might need to disable my popup blocker.  I am using the latest Safari on the latest OS X.  And, indeed, I can’t login without going to preferences and unchecking pop up blocking.

7. stephenl123 says: