Songwriting podcast with Richard Sherman of Disney's Sherman Brothers

9 Responses to “Songwriting podcast with Richard Sherman of Disney's Sherman Brothers”

1. ChuckTV says:

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang isn’t Disney.

• Sodajerker says:

We mention this in the show, but you’re right, the text wasn’t clear enough. We’ve edited it :)

• alamode123 says:

According to Mr Sherman, Walt loved the premise of the movie, but simply didn’t have the time to make the film, and reluctantly turned them down. He did, however, think that the Sherman brothers would be a perfect fit to write the music, and let them out of their contract temporarily in order to work on Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

2. Vanwall Green says:

I was walking through Disneyland one day, and “Chitty Chitty Bang Bang” was playing over the speakers. I couldn’t believe it at first. That was curiously enjoyable.

3. alamode123 says:

My kids and I had the great honour of having Richard Sherman as a guest of our tour group on the Disney Dream cruise ship last November.

His concert was magical, but even more impressive was how he was off stage. During dinner with him, he was totally immersed in our conversation. I’m sure he’d heard every question my 9 and 12 year old kids asked him a thousand times, but he made them feel like it was the first. Hopefully my kids will remember singing “Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow” and “One Little Spark” with him for the rest of their lives.

A great entertainer, but more importantly, a great man.

For those who care to see a great documentary about the Shermans, check out “The Boys: The Sherman Brothers Movie”.

4. Sodajerker says:

We felt exactly the same when chatting with him. ‘The Boys’ is a truly fantastic documentary.

5. Vanwall Green says:

The most impressive room I ever walked into was a Sherman brothers’ music room; not only some serious hi-fi equipment, racks and shelves of LPs, and two grand pianos, but there’s nothing like looking at gold records all over the walls, and two Oscars as well.

6. niktemadur says:

Scrolling down BB and speed reading, I read “Sherman of Disney’s” as “Sherman Hemsley” and it hit me:
    Wouldn’t you love to see in It’s A Small World an animatronic Hemsley dancing to krautrock?