Volcano Dust - made from ghost chili peppers

26 Responses to “Volcano Dust - made from ghost chili peppers”

1. PhasmaFelis says:

I love spicy food, but I’ve never really understood the value of flavoring (“Hot Italian Blend”) in really, really hot powders and hot sauces. If three drops sets a bowl of chili on fire, I’m never going to use enough to taste any of the other flavors–and if I did, I wouldn’t be able to taste them through the burning anyway.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Perhaps for some people, it’s the only thing that they’ll ever feel.

• Daemonworks says:

The secret is that those of us who eat the really hot stuff are typically simply less effected by capsaicin than the average joe. Sense of taste works just fine though.

• Before I started eating Habanero level foods I would have agreed with you. Once a person crosses that threshold they can taste the accompanying flavors and seek the heat. Thanks for the comment. I also have some milder products such as my Spicy Chili Powder that just has a little kick and great flavors.

• niktemadur says:

Exactly, April 1.  However, Comments for this page are closed, and sometimes one longs to continue a hot conversation, if you know what I mean…

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Yeah, but… this is Italian Blend.

• pjcamp says:

So that means . . . what? They stirred in some basil and marjoram that you can’t possibly taste? It’s rather like the MASH recipe for a dry martini — 3 parts gin and one part looking at a picture of Antonio Carpano, the inventor of vermouth.

• No I didn’t just stir in some Marjoram and Basil, I also stirred in some Garlic, Onion and Oregeno, Ghost Pepper Flakes and Trinidad 7-Pot Powder. And yes I can taste it, it adds great flavor and an awesome burn. If you don’t seek the burn it is not really designed for you. Thanks for the comment, Tim

2. awjt says:

Should be classified as a WMD.

3. Nash Rambler says:

Oh sure, they’re hot.  But are they Guatemalan Insanity Pepper hot?  One of those babies’ll teach Mark to stomp around like the Pope of Chilitown.

4. redesigned says:

when you eat these the only jolokia is the one on your bhut the next day. :-)

5. pjcamp says:

You don’t really think of Omaha as a place to get hot food.

6. beepbeep says:

Ooooo, scary!!! “Also known as ghost chills….” So, they also give you goosebumbs?

7. Our products are not not necessarily for everyone, especially people that think tabasco is too spicy, but there are a segment of us that enjoy the very hot and that is who we make Volcano Dust products for.  Thanks for trying them Mark.

8. SamSam says:

That seems like a large container for something that you only use a “dusting” of at a time. Do chili peppers not degrade over time like other spices?

• Good point, the chili peppers will probably stay potent for a year or so but I could see the spices and herbs degrading if it isn’t used up. I will see about making a smaller version as an option.