Bollard transformed into yarn Dalek

Kevyn Jacobs snapped this knit (crocheted?) Dalek bollard cover at the corner of West Magnolia Street and Commercial Street in Bellingham, WA. No clue as to the manufacturer of said confection, but bravo.

#Knitted #Dalek bollard cover (Thanks, Hagrid!)


    1. wikipedia:

      The American Heritage Dictionary describes this use of bollard as “chiefly British.”

      well, there you go:  British TV character=British word.

      1. Weird.  Bollards are regularly called bollards in the US.  Out of curiosity, what have you been calling them?  

        1. Based on the definition below, I’ve always called them “that yellow pole in the ground”.

          Captain Obvious awaaaaay!

        2.  what Anoz said.  I just assumed it was because Cory is Canadian living in the UK.  dunno if it’s use in the US is regional or if you and I just keep different company, but I’ve never heard the word in my 38 years until now.

  1. for anyone else curious, a bollard is a pole that juts out of the ground, usually yellow, usually not all that tall. they serve a function similar to traffic cones.

      1. (my gormless campaign to patronize continues..)

        bollard (n.) 1844, originally a post for fixing mooring ropes; since 1948, usually a traffic control device; probably from bole (old Norse for ‘tree trunk’) + suffix -ard (French/German for ‘hardy’)

    1.  it said “do not touch the dalek or you will be ex-ter-mi-knitted” come on that is cute.

  2. There’s a bollard in the middle of the woods in Golden Gate Park that is usually surrounded by floral offerings as it’s now considered a lingam.

Comments are closed.