Canberra Skywhale: fanciful, breast-studded lighter-than-air cetacean

37 Responses to “Canberra Skywhale: fanciful, breast-studded lighter-than-air cetacean”

1. noah django says:

Cory, it would seem that I scooped you:

( ^^)Y☆Y(^^ )
    *clink*

2. dayhat says:

After leaving the Sea Shepherd movement, Paul Watson was approached by a local lactivist organisation…..

3. Ted Hurley says:

Sooooooo, why is it studded with breasts?

4. Ted Hurley says:

double post :0

5. Preston Sturges says:

The Living Gasbag/Air Whale trope fully realized!

6. Canberra blends with the natural environment? I suppose if the natural environment consists of V6 engines motoring at a constant 70 km/h…

• winkybb says:

Well yes, I had a similar thought. Canberra is often considered a strange place by those who don’t live there. I think this oddball balloon does in someway represent Canberra, but not in the way it was intended.

7. fredges says:

Heh. Booooobies.

8. Stefan Jones says:

Oh, dear . . . . young boys in every town this flies over are going to grow up disappointed in what actual woman have to offer.

“Oh, um, and . . . ah . . . I wonder if, you know, just for fun, kinda like, maybe you can wear this inflatable whale outfit? You know, f-f-f-f-for, mmmm, you know, kicks?”

9. 3william56 says:

So – bloated, cumbersome, ugly, expensive and full of hot air.

As perfect an abstract representation of the Australian parliament as we could hope for. Bravo!

10. anon0mouse says:

Looks like a turtle motorboating a goat.

11. MythicalMe says:

There has to be a Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy joke in there somewhere:

“Yeah, this is really exciting. I’m dizzy with anticipation! Or is it the
    wind? There’s an awful lot of that now isn’t it? And what’s this thing
    coming toward me very fast? So big and flat and round, it needs a big
    wide sounding name like ‘Ow’, ‘Ownge’, ‘Round’, ‘Ground’! That’s it!
    Ground! Ha! I wonder if it’ll be friends with me? Hello, Ground!”

12. simon.g says:

The debate about artistic merit and whether it represents the peculiar folk who inhabit Canberra will continue ad infinitum, or until the Japanese harpoon it for research. What causes  concern is the timing, (how inconsiderate of our founding fathers to pick such an inconvenient Centenary), as its Canberra launch fell on the eve of a particularly savage Federal Budget. People who see it, in flight or in the press, respond in two ways: they can see it as  “Art” or “My tax dollars heating the stratosphere”.

13. Steve Taylor says:

This thing makes me so embarrassed to be Australian :(

14. Ladyfingers says:

I like Patricia Piccinini’s work well enough to realise that her justification for this particular indulgence in her usual themes is obviously after the fact.

• Itsumishi says:

Yup, fantastic artist but this statement: “in fact coming from a place like Canberra where it’s a planned city that’s really tried to integrate and blend in with the natural environment, it makes a lot of sense to make this sort of huge, gigantic, but artificial and natural-looking creature” simply doesn’t hold much water!

15. peregrinus says:

Reptimammaerial.

• Preston Sturges says:

Ever seen the southwestern armadildo? It’s a nocturnal burrowing animal, but it’s supposed to make a good pet.

16. Preston Sturges says:

Tits up.

17. Looks turtlish to me, but it has boobies so it’s ok

18. Curtrude says:

Hey, can we get a NSFW tag on this?

;-)

19. James Penrose says:

Imagine the comments and disgust and instant psychoanalysis if a male had designed this thing.

20. ZA_SF says:

So where are the Tesla Coils?