Andy Kaufman "alive in Albuquerque" rumors persist

23 Responses to “Andy Kaufman "alive in Albuquerque" rumors persist”

1. Christopher says:

He and Elvis probably just wish people would leave them alone.

2. redstarr says:

If Kaufman were faking his death, I could see it being plausible that Maddox doesn’t exist either.  It would make sense to me that Maddox is Kaufman or a Kaufman associate  who’s in on the hoax (or sometimes either, neither, or both).

Not that I’m saying hoax or no hoax, alive or dead, just that it wouldn’t seem to be out of place in the framework of keeping that sort of ruse alive or out of place with Kaufman’s previous work like the Tony Clifton character.

3. I worked for the Hindi Brothers for a year, driving an Albuquerque Cab. We had the usual collection of weirdos, psychos, and outcasts that are common to any cab company. We used to pick up a guy who looked scarily like Andy Kaufman who claimed to be a mechanic. It made the talk of the bull-pen. Never learned what happened to him.

4. Mark says:

Sam Simon said recently (in a Marc Maron interview) that most of the “Andy’s alive” rumors that keep cropping up are the work of Bob Zmuda, who has the most to gain from keeping Kaufman on everybody’s radar.

• Navin_Johnson says:

Yep. The Maron interview with Zmuda is a good one too. His stories are clearly tall tales, but they’re fun ones.

• BigBeautyBoy says:

Yup. Its all fun and games until someone gets cancer which is the leading cause of death… Unless He/They committed suicide by such a long ‘sick’ joke that the taste no longer is fun.

Oh well.

5. Avram Grumer says:

I can’t be the only person who’s noticed that nobody really heard of Donald Trump until a few months after Kaufman’s supposed “death”.

6. Boundegar says:

I so hope he’s alive.

7. beb says:

He was never funny.

• redstarr says:

I agree.  I don’t think he was funny either.  But from a performance art kind of way, brilliant. I don’t see what Kaufman did as funny in the same way that comedians like George Carlin were funny.  I see it and appreciate and respect and am fascinated by it as art or theater.

• BigBeautyBoy says:

He is a genius to have brought the absurd sense of normal reality clashing to the mainstream ideology of our common ‘Rat race’ ideologies.

Now would be the perfect time to ‘call in’ the joke; We sure need it now!

• Halloween_Jack says:

He could be incredibly funny, without telling a single joke.

• Preston Sturges says:

It’s like going to the Hirshhorn Museum for an exhibition of Dadist art and seeing a little scrap of wood smeared with house paint and nailed to the wall and labelled “The Apocalypse.”

Whether or not you like the work, the guy risked his life kicking in the door so other people could follow.

8. Mitchell Glaser says:

Andy Kaufman got a race-change operation and is now the President of the United States. Explains a lot, doesn’t it?

9. Lurking_Grue says:

No, he IS alive and he has been trolling us with Ann Coulter.

10. Mr. Protocol says:

Well, I just got back from Albuquerque like, five minutes ago, and I sure didn’t see him there.

11. dethbird says:

“Ace” reporters always want a scoop, but Andy will always be the only one in on the joke. Maybe Bob too haha