Former Icelandic interior minister Ogmundur Jonasson says he asked "8 or 9" FBI agents to leave the country when he found out that they'd lied about their visit; they claimed they'd come to help prevent "an imminent attack on Icelandic government databases," but it turns out they were just digging up dirt on Wikileaks.

25 Responses to “Why Iceland kicked out 8 or 9 FBI agents”

1. NoOneSpecific says:

Gee. US “Government representatives” misrepresenting their intentions! Who didn’t see that coming?

2. knoxblox says:

3. Xploder says:

While reading that, I was reminded of when the DEA used to use the same tactics – lie about what they were doing all the time. What always amazed me was the agents that would get high and then spout off bullshit like – “Hey, we’re the GOOD guys so it’s okay”…

• knoxblox says:

Aren’t the DEA (and ICE and ATF) still doing that today?

• toyg says:

Oh yeah, the War on Drugs, I remember that. Was it the one when US forces were trafficking drugs in Cambodia, or something? I’m sure Mel Gibson was in it.

4. SedanChair says:

“I don’t need a reason” *buries battle axe in podium*

5. pseudoacacia says:

I thought the FBI wasn’t supposed to operate outside of US borders.

• awjt says:

curioser and curioser

• Antinous / Moderator says:

“Borders”, as you so quaintly call them, only exist for “people” trying to enter the US.

• EH says:

The border became conceptual some time back. I believe the logic is that FBI is OK there if what they’re dealing with (I won’t assume ‘investigation’) can affect domestic activities or citizens.

• crenquis says:

The FBI seems to be focusing on international trade as well (nevermind the fact that it is the job of their brethren in the TSA) — supposedly to focus more on “technology”

• Daemonworks says:

So, basically everything then. There’s not much in the world that couldn’t be considered to affect US activities or citizens with a good stretching.

• SickOfLiars2 says:

You mean, like the CIA is not supposed to operate inside, but they do?

6. crenquis says:

It was probably 8 agents, because 7 8 9.

7. bzishi says:

Don’t kick them out. Arrest them and put them in jail for a while. Do what the US government would do if Iceland did the reverse.

• knoxblox says:

If they do that, then they should also suffer the same inconvenience other criminals do. Post their mugshots for all to see. Then we can see how far their “investigative career” takes them in the future.

This might also have the added benefit of helping the government realize how damaging it is to post mugshots in the perpetuity of the internet.

• dnebdal says:

I’m not sure if Iceland does that. I don’t even think all US states publish mugshots, never mind all countries.

• ffabian says:

Germany or to be more precise the german states don’t publish mugshots because here the reasoning is “innocent until proven guilty” and even people found guilty are human beings that have human rights and therefore a right to privacy.

• dnebdal says:

Neither does Norway; I presume for the same reasons. Also, jail is (at least here) meant to be rehabilitating: When you get out, you should ideally become a law-abiding and productive member of society.

• knoxblox says:

I understand, I’m only going with bzishi’s premise of “turnabout is fair play”.

Of any particular group in the U.S., I think many people in our law enforcement agencies are the most capable of recidivism.

• dnebdal says:

@knoxblox:disqus
            Oh absolutely. Besides, it’s a good occasion for political statements, making of examples, and such. :)

8. Dan Hibiki says:

Well they weren’t lying. There was going to be an attack on their data base… from the US.

9. Ryan Lenethen says:

Anyone else read that with “Asked” in air quotes… :)