90-year-old woman bitten by venomous snake stomps on it, then drives herself—and the snake—to church

A 90-year-old woman in Mobile, AL wasn't going to let a venomous snakebite ruin her day. On her way to her weekly Crafty Critters club at church, Nell Toenes thought she saw a pretty leaf and picked it up. It turned out to be a snake that bit her in the hand.

Rather than scream and call 9-1-1 like the rest of us might do, the feisty senior stomped on the snake, put it into a jar, and took it with her to church.

By the time she met with her craft group, her hand was turning blue. She casually mentioned her encounter with the snake. When they asked her what kind of snake it was, she told them she had no idea and went to retrieve the creature from her car.

According to WPMI NBC's Local15TV:

A quick search online and the ladies realized, she'd been bitten by a poisonous [sic] water moccasin. The snake had bitten her on her right hand while she was in the garage.

When they realized it was a water moccasin, the ladies insisted – against Toenes' wishes – that they call 9-1-1.

"She's spunky and fun and she's just very matter of fact about the whole situation, not stressed out, just more irritated she got bit than anything else," said Hollinger's Island Baptist Church Secretary Sharon Powell.

Powell says Toenes' daughter called the church to let them know she was being treated at the hospital and was expected to be ok.

Image: CDC/ Edward J. Wozniak D.V.M., Ph.D., John Willson at the University of Georgia, at the Savannah River Ecology Laboratory (SREL)

Notable Replies

  1. *Venomous

  2. Having never tried to consume a water moccasin, I am unable to assert that they aren't poisonous, too.

  3. Laz says:

    The last time I commented on the venomous/poisonous issue on a reputable publication I was hit with tons of hate for being overly critical of semantics. It's not a grammar issue. It's not interchangeable and it is an important distinction. If it bites you and you die, it's venomous. If you bite it and you die, it's poisonous.

Continue the discussion bbs.boingboing.net

19 more replies

Participants