14 killed in mass shooting in San Bernardino, CA.

SWAT team active at San Bernadino mass shooting site. Photo: @crimeshutterbug

UPDATE:5 a.m., Thursday : Investigators now believe that there were two assailants, not three, and that both were killed in the SUV shootout. They were named as Syed Rizwan Farook, 28, and Tashfeen Malik, 27.

UPDATE:5:30 p.m. The New York Times reports that one of the three attackers "had worked at the facility and recently had a dispute with fellow employees, according to law enforcement officials. A witness has told police that although the gunmen had their faces covered, one of them sounded and appeared very similar to an employee who had left the facility earlier in the day. “They had their appearances covered but a witness believed it had been someone who worked there,” said one official."

UPDATE:4:30 p.m. According to the most recent reports, one suspect is still on the run. One officer has been injured. The victims of the mass shooting were reportedly attending a Health Department luncheon; the attackers' motives remain unclear.

UPDATE:3:38 p.m. Live footage shows SWAT teams converging on a stationary, shot-up black SUV in San Bernadino. According to police, it is the escape vehicle from the earlier mass shooting. One person within the vehicle "rolled out" and surrendered to authorities, they report. Two in the vehicle opened fire, one was reportedly shot and killed, and the other taken into custody.

UPDATE:3:35 p.m. At least one pipe bomb was found at a house on E San Bernardino Rd., according to reporters citing police scanners, and nearby residents evacuated.

In San Bernardino, CA, at least 14 people have been killed and 14 more injured after a mass shooting this morning. Read the rest

Seven dead, seven injured in Santa Barbara rampage shooting

Police block off an area of the rampage shooting crime scene in Santa Barbara. Image: Santa Barbara Independent.

A series of drive-by shootings in the Isla Vista area near the University of California at Santa Barbara Friday night left seven people dead. The suspect, Elliot Rodger, was shot dead during the melee. He has been identified as the son of "Hunger Games" assistant director Peter Rodger, and is believed to have left a violent video in which he spoke of feeling alienated from and rejected by women, and wanting to seek revenge and punishment. Read the rest