A member of Germany's Social Democrat party has defected for the Pirate Party, making him the first Pirate Party member in German parliament. Glyn explains, "Tauss left the Social Democrats after the party helped to pass a law mandating ISPs block a list of websites in a attempt to stop child porn. Tauss argues that it's the first step towards an extensive Internet censorship regimen and it will not work in its stated aim."
Tauss is being investigated for possession of child porn images that he says he downloaded as part of his ministerial investigation into the propagation of child porn.
Although Tauss is known for his experience in information technology matters and he has a track record in investigating child porn websites, he said the decision to give the government powers to close such sites down is a mistake.
He released a statement on Friday explaining his departure from the SPD, saying that although he agreed with many points of the party's programme, there was a "terrible wrong turn eing taken" in domestic, legal and internet policy.
He promised to continue to vote with the SPD in matters unrelated to these topics, but the party has demanded he step down from his parliamentary seat.
(Thanks, Glyn and everyone else who suggested this!)
- Germany to build the Internet Berlin Wall - Boing Boing
- Germans protest new Internet Berlin Wall - Boing Boing
- Swiss Pirate Party - Boing Boing
- Pirate Party takes two EuroParl seats! - Boing Boing
- Swedish Pirate Party membership surges after Pirate Bay verdict ...
- Famous Swedish poet explains why he's voting for the Pirate Party ...
- Pirate Party leader talks strategy and tactics - Boing Boing
- German Pirate Party founded - Boing Boing
- US branch of "Pirate Party" launches - Boing Boing
- Sweden's Pirate Party - political arm of the pro-piracy ...