Boing Boing’s Rob, Maggie, and Mark, and cartoonist Ruben Bolling gabbed excitedly for over an hour about books, games, TV shows, writing implements, comic books, and more!
• Maggie talks about her book, Before the Lights Go Out: Conquering the Energy Crisis Before It Conquers Us, which comes out from Wiley & Sons on April 10.
• Rob talks about how great Skyrim is, and why that makes its big flaws stand out even more.
• Ruben and Mark agree that The Hobbit is wonderful and The Lord of the Rings is boring. They can hardly wait for the abusive comments they'll receive in the comments.
• Maggie recommends Oglaf the “extremely well-done sex farce comic set in a stereotypical fantasy world.”
• Mark reviews the upcoming movie John Carter based solely on the trailer. Ruben and Mark agree that A Princess of Mars is a very good novel.
• Mark recounts a personal story involving Edgar Rice Burroughs and his biography.
• Maggie reveals a spoiler from the first season of The Walking Dead, but for a very good reason.
• Ruben recommends the Spider-Man Marvel Masterworks Vols. 12 and 13 (1972-1973) anthologies, which feature Spider-Man in his heyday, as “written” by Stan Lee and drawn by John Romita.
• Maggie talks about a Carl Zimmer’s Science Ink --- a coffee table photo book of awesome science-themed tattoos.
• Maggie discusses The Third Industrial Revolution, by Jeremy Rifkin -- "a book about the future of energy where I totally agree with the big-picture points and disagree with the details," she says. "It’s also reminding me of why I get twitchy around 'true believers.'"
• Gweek listener Barry Barker recommend’s Fisher Space Pens' Bullet models.
• Maggie tells Ruben how much she loved Ruben's comic about Ulysses, which she read when she was 17. (It should be on the front page of Ruben's site by the time you read this).
We'd like to give a special thanks EdgeCast Networks, our bandwidth provider and sponsor!
Download Gweek 029 as an MP3 | Subscribe to Gweek via iTunes | Subscribe via RSS | Download single episodes of Gweek as MP3s
Gweek is back – at least for now! For those of you who are new to Gweek, it’s a podcast where the editors and friends of Boing Boing talk about media, science, science fiction, video games, comic books, board games, TV shows, music, movies, tools, gadgets, apps, and other neat stuff. My is co-host Dean […]
Our guest this week is Maggie Tokuda Hall. She writes books for children and stories for adults.
Gweek is brought to you by Crunchyroll, offering 1080p streaming anime with English subtitles. Try it free for a month by signing up at Crunchyroll.com/gweek
This holiday season, give the delivery man a break. Who needs the extra cost and uncertainty of shipping anyway? Here are 10-holiday gifts that cut out the middleman and go straight to the nicest ones on your Christmas list. Winc Wine Delivery Okay, we might be cheating a little with this first one, but a […]
For some folks, writing notes by hand is just plain easier, but having to re-type them later can be a huge bore, not to mention time-sink. The guys from Rocketbook successfully merged the best parts of analog and digital note-taking with their Everlast notebook awhile back. And now, that tech just got a lot more […]
There are fast-paced card games, and some of them even require enough dexterity for a mini-workout (like Skip-Bo or Snap). But there’s nothing quite like the Mokuru® Card Game, which uses an already addictive fidget toy as the centerpiece for a cutthroat game of tabletop challenges. The game is named for the toy that gets […]