A new report from the storied Citizen Lab at the University of Toronto documents the advanced, persistent threats levied against civil society groups and NGOs -- threats that rival those facing any government or Fortune 100 company, but whose targets are much less well-equipped to defend themselves.
Citizen Lab has a remarkable record when it comes to tracking down and exposing cyber-threats, from China's spying on the Dalai Lama to indispensable work on the Russian surveillance apparatus. In their new report, Communities @ Risk: Targeted Digital Threats Against Civil Society , they present a grim, detailed view of the attacks brought to bear on groups concerned with human rights, fair elections, and other core democratic values.
* In the digital realm, CSOs face the same threats as the private sector and government, while equipped with far fewer resources to secure themselves.
* Counterintuitively, technical sophistication of malware used in these attacks is low, but the level of social engineering employed is high.
* Digital attacks against CSOs are persistent, adapting to targets in order to maintain access over time and across platforms.
* Targeted digital threats undermine CSOs’ core communications and missions in a significant way, sometimes as a nuisance or resource drain, more seriously as a major risk to individual safety.
* Targeted digital threats extend the “reach” of the state (or other threat actors) beyond borders and into “safe havens.”
Communities @ Risk: Targeted Digital Threats Against Civil Society
The Washington Post reports: The Treasury Department announced Wednesday that it will loan $700 million to a trucking firm that ships military equipment, in exchange for having U.S. taxpayers acquire an almost 30 percent stake in the company. Under the unusual arrangement, the Treasury Department will provide the emergency loan to YRC Worldwide, while taking […]
Bad legal news for Orange President Kleptocrat today. He’s gonna be in a mood.
Asked about the Justice Department’s intent to drop all criminal charges against impeached President Trump’s first national security advisor, Mike Flynn, Trump’s Attorney General Bill Barr says nothing matters, and “history is written by the winners.”
If you’re a big fan of ink, but not such a big fan of the forever side to tattoo body art or the pain, the Prinker S Temporary Tattoo Printer might just be your favorite creation of the century. Winner of 2020 Red Dot and If Design awards, the Prinker S is kind of like […]
If you want to understand what it takes to keep a company’s computer network happy and healthy in the cloud, the training found in The Complete AWS eBook and Video Course Bundle can go a long way toward making sure you know the ins and outs of the AWS environment. This bundle brings together five […]
Part of the reason WordPress is the undisputed king of website creation is its open-source framework, allowing anyone to create plugins offering levels of functionality to WordPress sites that were unprecedented. So where do you find all the great ideas that are pushing WordPress forward? You can sample a heaping spoonful of that innovation with […]