Cops pepper-spray 15-year-old girl who fell off her bike

This is very sad and infuriating. A 15-year-old girl from Hagerstown, Maryland was riding her bike and collided with a car. When police arrived they told her an ambulance was going to take her to the hospital. She didn't want to go. She got back on her bike, but before she could get away, an officer grabbed her from behind. The next thing you know, she was roughed up, cuffed, put in the back of a patrol car, and then pepper sprayed. Instead of taking her to the hospital, the officers took her to the police station for interrogation.

The girl was black, and the police officers were white. It made me sick to watch this video. She'd just been in a bad accident, flew 15 feet through the air, and was knocked out. The police were cold, harsh, and violent with her. They kept aggressively shouting at her "Stop!" and "What's your name!" Imagine your own child suffering a head injury and then being treated like this. Her frightened shrieks are heartwrenching.

From the Daily Beast:

[Hagerstown Police Captain] Paul Kifer said the girl's detention was standard procedure.

"We're not gonna let her go until she's released to a parent or guardian," he told The Daily Beast. "If we let her go and she goes around the corner and has an aneurism and dies, that's on us."

But [attorney Robin] Ficker said the force of the girl's arrest contradicts the police argument that she required urgent treatment.

"Well if someone may have brain damage, why are you slamming her against a wall? Why are you putting her in a police car," he said, "without a seatbelt, I might add, in violation of police policy."

Even after police seat the handcuffed girl in the squad car, she refuses to pull her feet into the vehicle, body camera footage shows. Police fire pepper spray at her face from close range and slam the door while she is coughing and screaming. The car pulls away while the girl is still shouting and crying.

But police did not take her to a hospital, Ficker said. Instead, the girl was transported to the police station, where she was interrogated and charged with disorderly conduct, two counts of second degree assault, possession of marijuana and failure to obey a traffic device.