Nitter is a free and open source alternative Twitter front-end focused on privacy. The source is available on GitHub at https://github.com/zedeus/nitter
- All requests go through the backend, client never talks to Twitter
- Unofficial API (no rate limits or developer account required)
- Lightweight (for @nim_lang, 60KB vs 784KB from twitter.com)
- RSS feeds
- Mobile support (responsive design)
- AGPLv3 licensed, no proprietary instances permitted
The Nitter website is useful in its own right, but installing your own Nitter front-end on a local server (or VPS) has additional privacy benefits.