Wheels for paralyzed turtle

25 Responses to “Wheels for paralyzed turtle”

1. Jay the Turtleman says:

SOLJB-

Nice try at sounding intelligent, my friend. But the notion that male box turtles fertilize the eggs after they’ve been laid is laughable. Turtles of all kinds mate just like people do. Do your homework before you spew your false facts.

I have a turtle + love him a lot. Thx for helping this one.

3. mujadaddy says:

How did she taste?

4. spokehedz says:

Santa’s Knee: Now THAT’S funny!

5. lamarlowe says:

true love. It always hurts so sweet. I do understand. Life is hard, but if weren’t for the poignant moments then why bother at all.

Of course, I can see and assume that a person with a more republican state of mind might just say, “Oh cool! Hot Wheels!”

“Bugs beware!” Both the bunny and the insects.

• Epiphany says:

Sad Story, I agree with Jay the Turtleman.
      soljb, thats total nonsense. for starters, that turtle would b 2 young judging by the size of it to have eggs in her, they don’t start layin till they’re around the age of 5 (in the wild). If the eggs are unfertalized eggs, they will pass them in the water, when the eggs have been fertalized, which happens during breeding, they will lay the egg in the ground. I have many turtles my self, some of which are rescue turtles

6. VickiLynne says:

unbelievable!

7. martyz says:

I can’t resist: I LIKE TURTLES!

8. minTphresh says:

bless ya homie! my roomate and i rehab gopher tortoises, and raise salcada and panther tortoises, and i was blown back by your resourcefulness! my condolences on the loss of your reptilian bud.

9. Ari B. says:

@17

Turtle-modders will take on a whole new meaning once genetic engineering becomes a homebrew industry. :-)

she is so cute i have my own box turtle he got ran over bye my moms truk after we resud him from the high way the doctor glued his shell together on the bottom he has recoverd and is well

11. mikelotus says:

i like how they fetch the newspaper in the morning and love to be petted and be taken for walks.

12. psychosomatic says:

What kind of cruel prothesis will be inserted after the next flattening?

13. psychosomatic says:

Can she do a wheelie?

14. anthropomorphictoast says:

Aww, poor lil’ turtle. At least it can move around again.

It makes me sad when I see frogs, birds, etc. mowed down on a street. Nobody cares when they get hit by a car. ;-;

15. Takuan says:

I care

16. bunnyflo says:

Tried to post once, retrying now.. excuse if there are two.

You are my man hero, I love what you did for the turtle, you rock!

p.s. you can use the Nexcare Flexible clear stretchy tape to repair turtle shells, then they will grow back together :>)

hope this gets posted, the account did not work when trying to login!

17. Tavie says:

As a fellow turtle owner/herpiphile, I really enjoyed this story – this guy is a great friend to turtles everywhere.

18. palindromic says:

This story is very personal for me because I too rescued a turtle, one who had lost the use of all his legs. We replaced his legs with RC Car tires and mounted a motor to the top of his shell, one that responded to the upwards and downwards movement of his head by a series of wires and levers (for steering left and right). It was quite a sight to see him fly past at 30 mph, chasing the neighborhood kids around. We set up a few ramps after he showed a predilection for jumping off things, and he would spend hours hurtling himself like a little turtle superman into various piles of leaves and whatnot.

19. buddy66 says:

Note that the turtle again fares better than the (preceding) hare.

20. soljb says:

In all seriousness, the turtle was probably eggbound. If her hind end was crushed, it might have constricted her cloaca enough to prevent her from laying eggs (or her contracting muscles were paralyzed). Turtles produce eggs without a need for fertilization first. (the males fertilize the eggs after they’re laid).

female turtles will sometimes just keep producing eggs, regardless of whether they are laid. If they stay inside her, they calcify (shells get thicker and harder) and just keep building up, crushing her internal organs. Turtles can’t really expand their bodies, so they quickly run out of internal room and suffocate or die of organ failure.

amazing to see the effort you took to save the animal’s quality of life…very admirable.

21. Christovir says:

Thanks for posting this.

When I first saw this I thought they might have been the wheels that speed forward when you roll them back.

22. Justin Ried says:

Beautiful. God bless all you kind and benevolent turtle modders out there!

23. KongK says:

Check out this clip of a dog getting wheels: http://www1.nrk.no/nett-tv/distrikt/hordaland/verdi/48855

Only in norwegian, I’m afraid, but the images speak for themselves if you ask me…