Photos from squirrel taximdermy diorama museum in Wisconsin funeral home

32 Responses to “Photos from squirrel taximdermy diorama museum in Wisconsin funeral home”

Been there and didn’t find it at all tasteless, I think because it seemed to be created with genuine enthusiasm and a desire to explore the possibilities of the medium of taxidermy, rather than “hey look at the funny dead animals.” Worth checking out if you are in the Madison area. In fact, Madison in general is worth checking out if you are within driving distance.

2. Takuan says:

@9
    when you looked up, did you see the live wire the squirrel had chewed the tape off of?

3. Takuan says:

perhaps it would be a good idea for any who wish to visit there to leave word here.

4. Qipsy says:

Silly but oddly appropriate:

incidentally, anyone been to the “Museum of the Hills” in Helen, GA? Very similar vibe…

5. Digital Artz says:

Kind of logical for an undertaker who embalms Humans
    would wish to have this Taxidermy of squirrels as
    a hobby.

6. Art says:

“Squirrels! Why did it have to be Squirrels?”
    (Indiana Jones)

7. Deadmeat says:

The wife and I have started the habit of having a pastry and coffee at a patissiere down the street on weekend mornings.

I’m totally going to have to see if it’s open this Sunday!

8. Evil Jim says:

Hoyl Carp! I’m in southern Wisconsin. I gotta check this out.

9. Practical Archivist says:

I am *so* having my funeral there.

10. Jeremy Hill says:

I’m from Madison, I’ve been there *and* talked to the creator. He’s a really wild, nice guy with one heck of an imagination. Definitely something to see.

11. insomma says:

That triceratops is totally anachronistic- this scene isn’t fooling anyone!

12. ROSSINDETROIT says:

Where on earth did he get white squirrels? In my yard I have black, gray, fox, red and striped ground squirrels but never a white one. Did he breed them?

13. Antinous says:

The ground squirrels here are white until they reach adolescence/adulthood. I used to have a lot of them in my old back yard. A friend of mine looked out the window and saw a dozen tiny white squirrels cavorting and gamboling and thought that he was having an acid flashback.

14. Bonnie says:

This is AWESOME! I have my own diorama at home of a chipmunk band complete with an upright piano if you want to check it out:

15. Stefan Jones says:

If a civilization of intelligent astro-squirrels tap into the net and find this Flickr set this planet is totally, totally screwed.

16. Antinous says:

Stefan,

You had better just hope that they don’t find that picture of your dog bearing the tiny corpse of one of our new Sciurid overlords.

17. Bus says:

I, for one, welcome our new taxidermy squirrel overlords.

18. ROSSINDETROIT says:

Are you actually near Detroit? That photo was taken in Shelby Township along 22 Mile, just west of M-53 (VanDyke).

Ross,

I think that you have finally surpassed Takuan and me in the freaky department. Mazel tov.

According to Google Maps I’m 24.3 miles from that spot. The hairs on the back of my neck are now on permanent alert.

19. ROSSINDETROIT says:

I dated a woman who collected taxidermy oddities. I gave her a stuffed piranha and a mounted skunk, rampant. The centerpiece of the collection was a 2-headed calf which no one was allowed to touch.
    Okay, right now there’s a woodpecker on my bird feeder looking for suet. Better take care of that…

20. Agent 86 says:

Yes, Jamie, and wishing I had my own squirrel army.

21. c0nsumer says:

This reminds me of a squirrel I found the other day while riding along a road near my house. It appears that someone attempted to preserve and pose it, but gave up and left it next to a telephone pole:

Yes, it is holding a piece of caution tape. No, I don’t know why.

-Steve

22. ROSSINDETROIT says:

That would haunt my dreams. In fact, now it will.

23. Michael says:

When I first saw this headline, I wondered why a Wisconsin funeral home would have photos from a squirrel taxidermy diorama — it seemed a rather tasteless selection for artwork in a funeral home!

24. c0nsumer says:

ROSSinDETROIT: That would haunt my dreams. In fact, now it will.

25. whysteriastar says:

Oh man, there was this crazy place in San Francisco that had taxidermies like that. They had mice in ballerina costumes and a bride and groom mouse. It’s so nuts.

26. Lyddiechu says:

Oh my god, I live in Madison.. I HAVE to take the kids I work with on a twisted field trip to this place!

27. Antinous says:

Ross,

28. Robotech_Master says:

I wonder if this is the “mecca of albino squirrels that Weird Al talked about in his song about the “Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota.”

Or it could be Marionville, Missouri, which I live about half a mile away from (I even have a “Marionville, home of the white squirrels” T-shirt):

Amusingly, Marionville is one of five towns that claim to be the home of said squirrels—and none of them is particularly happy about the others:

29. Jamie Sue says:

Any one else thinking of the janitor from Scrubs?

Torrington, Alberta is a small town whose claim to fame is the Gopher Hole Museum.

“This attraction features stuffed gophers (Richardson ground squirrels) posed in a series of 47 anthropomorphic scenes, from a hair dresser to a preacher to an RCMP officer.”

Yee-haw.