I'm a big fan of Noah Scalin's ambitious Skull-a-Day project, through which he crafts and posts a skull using a different medium every day. So I was delighted to get a review copy of SKULLS, the book adaptation of his website, which lavishly reproduces his expert photographs of his widely varied projects. Every one of these skulls is an artistic success, though some are better than others (I'm a big fan of the food-skulls like those shown below -- even the simple Soy-Sauce Skull is admirably well-executed given the volatility of the medium). It's always tricky to turn a website into a book, but this is a good one: in addition to the skulls and the brief artist's notes, there's a couple of appendices, one of which will teach to you make skulls from a variety of household objects, the other shows off some of the best fan-skulls Scalin inspired.

SKULLS

9 Responses to “SKULLS: the skull-a-day book”

1. Bender says:

Noah rocks. To watch him make this themed work of art every day for a year (and have the majority of them be of the kick-ass sort) was one of my daily high points. I miss that, darn it!

The book is very inspiring! Way to go Skull-a-day man!

2. CB says:

Martha Stewart actually had this guy on a few months ago.

3. James David says:

Yeah, Noah!

4. Digital Artz says:

Another meaning for “what you
    eat may kill you”.
    Nice artwork.

5. justONEguy says:

Ooh. Pretty skull t-shirt: Geoskullz 2009

6. urshrew says:

The spaghetti one simply is great. I know most these were well planned and executed, but part of me wants to believe that was created by accident.

7. Kieran O'Neill says:

Hooray! I’d gotten lax in following Skull-a-Day after Noah completed his year, but I had always hoped he would get a book deal!

And it’s very reasonably priced, too. I hope he sees some return on that.

Great Amazon reviews there.

I think one of the biggest draws of his subject matter is the sense that each one of his pieces is a mirror of sorts for our own heads, an x-ray epiphany of what lies just beneath the surface. dunno if it’s ultimately death or just truth, but i know i like the reflection. -yelahneb

9. Rezpect says:

Back in October, the week of Halloween was “Skull Week” on my blog (worleygig.com), where each day I posted only stories about and pictures of skulls. I had accidentally tripped over Skulladay.com that week and have since become a huge fan of Noah. Thanks for reviewing this fun book.